Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

College vs. Certs. 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlaw420

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
US
I have been talking about going back to college and getting some type of degree in computers. I have friends in the field and they are telling me that college is all fine a dandy but where i really need to look is certifications. Is this a true statement? Do i really need to spend the time and money on college or save alot and go with company that can teach me then give me the certs.?

I thought I was finished commenting in this thread, but that last post requires comment. I have used the phrase "inane babble" before, but none of the other comments I have used that phrase for have not really lived up to the meaning, until that one.

A CS degree lasts longer than an IT degree?
A IT degree teaches vendor tools?
Degrees have half-lives?
Degrees are dated?
A CS degree has a longer half-life than an IT degree?

You cannot truly be serious? I would be embarrassed printing that nonsense. Good thing it's anonymous. A real education would truly open your eyes.

Good luck!

kHz, do you ever contribute a healthy positive post to this forum? Because all I ever read of you in here is you insulting people.

khz is always right, if i apply for a job with just my cs, i can knock down 40 k, if i apply for a job with just my nortel, cisco, rolm etc, i can knock down 100 k. i guess my real education taught me that cert's do increase bottom line.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

A great deal of work has been done on Information Half Life Theory, and what has been learned is fascinating. As with all theories, it needs to be properly utilized in context in order to be effective. Outside of that, it will lead to grossly erroeous conclusions. The biggest misuse of Information Half Life is to what it's applied, and how it's applied. The most common mistake is to paint with too broad a brush.

Let's look at the following two quotes from Glenn9999 's post.
[li]Basic point is that different degrees have varying "information half-lives"[/li]
[li]The logical tools don't change with different languages or vendor tools.[/li]
Do you see the inherent contradiction of these two sentences with respect to general Information Half-Life Theory? If the logical tools, i.e. the basic fundamentals, don't change, then they don't become obsolete, which is in direct contradiction with the concept of information half-life obsolesence.

That is but one example of what has been discovered by information half life researchers - that the nature of the information, and not the discipline, is a key factor in determining half-life of that piece of information. The information half-life of the basic fundamentals has a very different, and in fact much longer, than the half-life of current research findings. As another case in point, consider the information half-life of such things as Kepler's laws of motion or Bernoulli's principle. Do we need to discuss the information half-life of mathematics?

Information half-life is a legitimate theory, but again, unless it is applied properly and in context with sufficient granularity, it can lead to grossly inaccurate assumptions.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Many times.

And neither of those links have anything to do with:

A CS degree lasts longer than an IT degree
A IT degree teaches vendor tools
Degrees have half-lives
Degrees are dated
A CS degree has a longer half-life than an IT degree

Finished with this thread for good!

Have fun.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.