Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maitaining you dial up connections for your sites. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProviderReborn

Technical User
Jun 11, 2007
GB
IP Office tek-tippers.
I do out of hours support for our customers and have 280 Dial up connections which is a cause of my laptop locking up every time I dial in or disconnect from an IP Office.
The majority of our customers are on ISDN so i just use an ISDN modem.

I temp deleted my 280 dial ups which has cured my laptop locking up but Obviously I need to maintain my connections some how.

How do you guys support your customers.
I have procomm here but I cannot add my ISDN modem to its properties.

Thanks

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement
CCNA - Working towards.

Hey TP, yeah I seen the trainer in Avaya doing it this way, he had about 100 or so different dial up connections in the network folder, what a nightmare.

what I do is on my server in the office, I have an ISDN modem, I go to Connect to, select ISDN, and it prompts me for a user name, pw and phone number. I keep a list in the office on the pc of all numbers and I use the same user/pw for each dial in. The ISDN is added as a new network Connection but its the only 1 I see.

Never had a problem and I find it very easy to use.

Put an IPO in your house and use services there to do it instead.

And you get a free system for your pad so you can page the wife and tell her to get your tea on when she is slacking off on facebook.

Or you could use it to open and close the relays on the IPO to lock the kids in the garage when they are doing your head in.

Or you could create a database, when you have eaten the last frankfurter you can access the database and mark it down as out of stock and it can email the wife to tell her to get some more, slacking off again, she needs to get with the program bigtime.

ACE - Avaya Certified Expert
ACI - Avaya Certified Instructor

Basically the problem I have is I think I am upsetting XP Pro as with all these connections it messes up my SVChost services which crashes my PC.
Its definatly my connections so need to look at some thing else

ACA - IP Telephony
CCNA - Working towards.

Use an IP Office to store the settings (a service) and use that to do the dialling via the isdn.

PG, I just had to award a star for that post. It's the best thing I've read all day. I'm off to look for an old IPO on ebay. In home paging and garage door opening here I come ;-) In fact, couldn't I use VM Pro to allow me to dial up from my mobile in the car and open the garage door!?

IP Office - is there no limit to your talents?

sure you can
point a ddi to a shortcode (wich is for the relay)
with vmpro you can secure it with a pincode

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Yes you could.

Just to relate to another post posted today.

You could have 2 wires sticking out of the wall, phone the wife and ask her to hold them with wet hands, then trigger the relay to open up the voltage (it could be wired to an alog port or the mains, you decide)

Youve gotta have a larf aint ya.

Whats the point otherwise.

You could actually do that with the garage couldnt you, that is quite good.I wish i had a garage now.

I have and it is an electric one also :)
But i don't have a spade ddi and a wife who hold the wires
She already knows the trick
I personaly hate telex lines ,those realy hurt :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

he he.

Its something we can both aspire to.

To help with the original question, we just have remote access to a server/PC on site. This is usually just straight over the internet with the connection locked down to our IP range.

I've never actually bothered dialling in over ISDN - can't be bothered to dig out a TA!

USE THE IP OFFICE AND SERVICES

This way you can run a trace on the system you are using to dial out from and check that the user name and password your are using to authenticate match what is stored in the other end.

If you enable security tx and rx in the PPP tab in monitor, if the password or user name is wrong it will tell you.

Also if the system you are dialling in to for some reason cannot accept data calls because BT have turned it off because they are idiots, you can trace for that using the isdn filters.

If it isnt working, using an IPO enables you to trace it and find out why it aint working easier.

Im telling you an IPO is the way to go, all day long.

Does that mean creating a service on my remote sites too PG. Any more details.

Time doent really allow for me to mod 280 sites at the mo. lol.

ACA - IP Telephony
CCNA - Working towards.

No, all you need is an IPO. The system you are trying to dial into is set up already to be dialled into in default.

Create a new service with any ddi of the site you want to dial into, the service will make a data call to this number and match the anydata callroute on the target system that points to dialin rather than the voice call route for that ddi. In the name and password field of the service on your system it would be remote manager and thepword (assuming it is default), and in the IP tab of the service put an IP address of 192.168.99.10, this means the default 192.168.99.0 ip route on the target system will return traffic to your service.

Cretae an IP route on your system that points to the service.

If you set the default gateway of your pc to be the the ipo and try and ping the remote control unit, the ip route on your system will pick it up and point it to the service, the service will dial the number and use the name and password for authentication.

You then have a dial up data connection between the two systems and can manage/monitor etc in the normal way.

It sounds quite in depth but once you have done it once its really easy and gives you tracing options if it doesnt work.

PG. One more thing. What would you do if you had a mutiple systems on one IP Address?
Can this be over come.

ACA - IP Telephony
CCNA - Working towards.

You would have to change the destination on your route to

The only problem with this is that the IP Office does not like having more than 100 IP Routes (unless this has changed in 4.1, PG?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back