Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

load testing vb.net express webservices

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSATECH

Programmer
Aug 7, 2007
US
i have a call to a webservice that i need to attempt to load test without using vb.net 2005 express. the existing code is:

Dim cws As New CategoryWebServices.CategoryWebServices
Dim cred As New System.Net.NetworkCredential
cws.Credentials = New Net.NetworkCredential("admin", "admin")
Dim dto() As CategoryWebServices.CategoryDTO
dto = cws.getCategories()
console.writeline(dto.length)

what i would like to do is to start a number of simultaneous calls to getcategories. how would i do this using threads?

thanks

correcting the above typo. i am using vb.net 2005 express.

You are going to need some form of code to pound on your webservice. If you don't already have a system, then creating one in .net will be your only option.

You can have multiple instances of some test app running on your box that all pound on your webservice.

-Sometimes the answer to your question is the hack that works

i remember seeing awhile back (which i forget the website) where someone posted some code as to how to do this...

as much as i can remember there was
dim p as new process

and a for loop that triggered the webservice call within that process. i know how to do it with things like notepad.exe and such, but can't seem to get the dto code to fire within the process loop.

You can just "roll" an app that calls the webservice in a for loop. then start multiple instances of the app. If you have multiple boxes that you can run it on then that would be even better, but you work with what you have.

Are you trying to test the webservice or the server the webservice is on, because it will switch from one to the other pretty quickly, once you get your number of concurrent hits up there.

-Sometimes the answer to your question is the hack that works

we are trying to test the load capabilities of the server. we have been using SoapUI, but the results are a bit less than spectacular and are looking for another alternative to at least check with something else.

currently we unit test the webservices with vb.net, and with a bit of 'massaging' we should be able to alter them into a function load test of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back