Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing 2

I just discovered something else that needs fixing. Many recent (after April 17, 2019 as best that I can tell) FAQs never got ported over. I cannot find any after FAQ 7953. At least two of my FAQs have gone missing, #8776 and #8777.

It appears that the ported FAQs were ported over from an older list instead of from the most current list.

Also, I cannot find a way to search for all of my FAQs, nor anyone else's, without paging through all of them.

Yeah, the handling of FAQs seems to have been (and still is) a bit of a disaster. Again, this has been r\ised with site management, but I don't currently know what or whether they are doing anything about it.

That being said, it IS possible to search for FAQs written by a specific person - it's just slightly non-intuitive.

Select 'Search Forums" from the top menu bar. Then, perhaps counter intuitively, you will find that actually has 4 search tabs, one of which is Search FAQs. And that has a number of options.

Last edited:
Yeah, very unintuitive. Probably not going to be easy to remember either since it will probably be a blue moon before I need to do it again.

That said, it should be very simple to port over the current list of FAQs as of the date that the forum was ported, which would solve the most pressing problem, missing FAQs.

The longer they wait to do it, the less viable it becomes.

First, the most current list will eventually get deleted and second, someone might write a new FAQ which would get overwritten by a new porting.

One positive thing about porting a FAQ list over that was 5 years old is that I did find one useful FAQ (to me) from a member which was banned a few years ago. When he was banned his FAQs also disappeared. Needless to say, I have saved a copy of that FAQ before it goes missing again.

Hopefully, when it comes time to port the Engineering forums that they will do a better smoother porting.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back