Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux vs BSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that Theo has valid thoughts. I do feel that BSD is a better OS than any Linux flavor in the market. However, I still support Linux. Linux seems to be all over the place and can be very difficult to work w/ at times.

Carlo Reyes

Technology/Systems - Delivery
Networks and Infrastructure

Chicago Customer Technical Support

I keep hearing the BSD folk saying things like Mr. de Raadt's opinions here. But like the article quoted, there has never been any accompanying qualitative analysis which shows that the opinion is more than just heartfelt emotion.

I take that back. I did once read an article that compared one BSD variant to Linux, and the report was (or at least seemed to me) and honest analysis of the two. The BSD variant was way ahead in a number of core features. But that was many years ago, and the Linux kernel revision being compared was 2.0 or 2.2.

I'm not that familiar with the BSD world. Does anyone know how much code the close-source BSD variant that the Macintosh uses has in common with the open-source BSD variants? And isn't Solaris on an independent development track from any BSD variant?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

put it this way

Linux = Honda Civic {mostly used by 'ricers' and wanna be F1 racers}

FreeBSD = Ford F350 {high stabality and versatile}

Solaris = Lexus IS300 {sport look, but its still a Toyota :) }

AIX = Bentley {what can I say? :)}

oh yea...AIX rocks

I think this is kinda funny.

Step away from the commercial distros of linux and the 3 flagship BSDs and you will find some small groups working on some great stable secure and painstakingly hacked (lovingly not malicious) kernels and apps.

I think the biggest problem with Linux distros is the commercialization of it. Because this does lead to the project manager dictaiting production rather than the coders. The other problem is inherent in any group project. Look at Craigslist.org There are plenty of idiots ruining that. What another example? Look at IRC, go to EFNet. So many people get involved there is poor management of the whole. Last fun example: Roman Empire. The populus was so great and so diverse it led to the destruction and dismantling of an entire nation.

To bring it back around, remember what linux's goal was. Remember the spirit of it, then put down your box and install gui and get back to hacking a kernel. DIY. Heck, look an minix. Or the linux router distributions, everything is on a floppy not 5CDs... you do remember floppies right?

I guess Linux has its best applications. But it seems lately its all the cool to hate MS thing (we hated Ma Bell when we were boxing her), and the cool to be a 1337 h4x0R trip.

I have been using Linux for Mail, Web, Firewall, and Router for years without many problems.
My infrastructure is run on Windows, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
My desktop and laptop are both Mac OSX (devil inside)

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back