Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line randomly going to vmail after 2-3 rings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UViewIT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2007
CA
Over the last month or so I've been receiving complaints from our receptionist team that on occasion one of our external lines will dump an incoming caller to voicemail after 2-3 rings, instead of the normal 6. Typically this happens on line 3, but it has also occurred on line 1.

Unfortunately the callers haven't been able to tell us exactly where they end up (general mailbox, user mailbox, night attendant)... From the reception phone it shows the line being redirected to NRVMAIL on extension 306 (the extension assigned to Flash).

I've checked everything I can think of but I'm far from a Nortel expert here. Here's what I've checked:

For each of the 3 receptionist sets (these are the only sets that have appearance for our external lines):
- Forward No Answer: Goes to voicemail (306) after 6 rings
- Forward On Busy: Set to none

All lines have the prime set as 221 (main receptionist). the other two receptionist phones are 222 & 251. Under Service Modes - Control Sets:
221 -> 222
222 -> 251
251 -> 221

Does anyone have any tips or hints I can use to help narrow down or fix this problem?

Thanks,
Mike

System Info:
Norstar MICS with Flash
NT7B53FA-93 REL 05A
SP: 30nCG20 NAT

Check all your lines in Auto Attendant to insure none are set to be answered automatically.

Thanks for the tip countrytime, I've checked each line:

Line1: Answer = Y, Table = 1, Rings = 5
Line2: Answer = Y, Table = 1, Rings = 5
Line3: Answer = Y, Table = 1, Rings = 5
Line4: Answer = Y, Table = 1, Rings = 5
Line5: Answer = N, Table = 1, Rings = 0
All lines past #5 are set the same as #5

We use line 1-4 for incoming calls, and it's line 3 that exhibits the problem most frequently.

I've checked about 10 of the most likely phones (we have about 50) and so far none of them have appearance/ring set for any lines, except for the 3 reception phones...

Is there an easy way to scan for which phones have appearance/ring set, or do I have to go extension by extension for this?

make private to a set..this will remove from all execpt the one you made it private to..the reprogram back to where you know you need/want it...may have to move line back to original locations with button programming "f*81

Is it possible that one of your users is redirecting the line to an external location where it is being answered by someone elses voice mail?

lugerlover:
Can you give a bit more detail on assigning a line as private to a set? I'm assuming that by doing this to line 3 it would remove it from appear/ring from every set on the system, then I could reassign it to the 3 receptionists... ?

countrytime:
Remotely possible but none of the users have been shown how to do this... Also, when the line answers prematurely it shows >NRVMAIL on our system, would it still do this if it was being redirected externally?

Have you been able to duplicate the trouble? Line 3 is the most frequent culprit- the 3rd incoming call; you have 3 people answering the calls...

If 2 are on incoming calls, one is calling out, then all 3 are busy. The sets will still ring with incoming calls if they aren't DND on busy or Fwd on busy, but the ring will be subdued, and in a busy office, they can be easily overlooked.

Oh, yeah. Check DND on Busy under capabilities for those 3 sets.

on a long shoot and only because it has happened more than once to me is it possible line 3 hunts to a different business/location

Thanks for all of the tips, here's what I've done/checked now:

RikRogers:
I can't duplicate the problem on demand, when I call in to line 3 and ask the receptionists to let it ring, it always goes 5-6 rings before going to voicemail. The problem occurs both when the lines are busy, and when they are dead quiet.

Fwd On Busy is not set, Fwd On No Answer is set for the receptionist sets, all set to go to NRVMAIL x306 after 5 rings.

I should clarify the line setup too... We do have a total of 9 lines all in a hunt group, our outbound pool uses the last 5.

silver987:
I've checked the prime set on all lines, they are all set to x221.

lugerlover/curlycord:
OK, I made line 3 private to the main receptionist (x221) and confirmed it was removed from the other two. I reassigned it back to PoolA, then reset appear & ring to x222 & x251.
I hope this has cleared it up, I've asked the reception team to let me know if/when the problem crops up again.

lugerlover:
I don't think that's the case as the receptionists see the line being redirected to NRVMAIL at x306...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back