Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing is ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi Guys,

After a 4 week analysis and review I submitted my report to the MD regarding our licensing. We're about £20k under licenced.

Company said hold off, we don't have that money lying around but all future purchases must be legal so my report will stay accurate until we have the cash to get new licences.

However my line manager (who isn't the MD) has asked me to install some software and we don't have a licence for it. "It's only for a few days" - however I personally haven't got the time to run around PC's after a couple of days removing applications that we don't have a licence for.

My only choice is to show them how serious I am about this and present a document that essentially waivers me from liability. (E.G. a "I told you so" document in case we get busted)

Anyone have any ideas how to go about wording and approaching this sort of thing? Don't want to nark everyone off and put a strop on but I am not doing something illegal on company orders without a liability disclaimer.

Cheers,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Thanks for the advice guys.

Wasn't in writting - other than the original report stating what we do and don't have licences for.

Any future unlicenced installs verbally will result in me emailing my manager stating we do not have the licences and what action would he like to me take.

Cheers,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Steve,

As "It's only for a few days" could arrangements be made such that the individual requiring access to the software could use it on a machine where it is already installed under licence.

Any arguments from this individual could be met with "It's only for a few days".

Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back