Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing and Loyalty Conundrum 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I work for a guy at his home taking care of all his computer-related stuff. Actually he is my biggest individual customer by billable hours each year. I also work for the new company he just created but it is run by someone he hired as C.O.O. The owner is very much in favor of license compliance and in general "doing things the right way".

The C.O.O. of the new company seems to be saying to me, "don't worry about it if we're a few licenses short on Microsoft Office. We've bought quite a few." I find that the same key code is in use on a number of identical PCs. He seems to value saving a nickel wherever possible and then rubbing that nickel lovingly.

So, do I rat out the C.O.O and make him mad at me by telling the owner (to whom I owe a huge amount of business and for whom I have a lot of respect) OR do I just dummy up? I'm kind of hosed either way!?!?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I guess I work for non-professional people!!! I have to stroke them, not pummel them.

There you go with the superlatives again.

Needless to say...

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I don't need any more advice at this point. I fixed the problem by talking to the owner's wife and she agreed that a "backup and licensing audit" would be a request to the COO and that the source of the suggestion would not be communicated. She is aware of the "frugal nature" of the COO and that sometimes penny wise/pound foolish is apropos. So I killed two birds with one stone - setting things in motion and raising it as a concern if licensing is not resolved.

kwbMitel - Please don't comment on any of my posts again please.

>>kwbMitel - Please don't comment on any of my posts again please.

Goombawahoo, that choice is up to me. This site is an open forum and all contributors are welcome. That being said, some contributions will not be welcomed as it appears to be in this case. There are 2 very simple measures available to you.
[ol 1]
[li]If you feel comments are being made that are inappropriate AND break the rules of the site regarding professional and courteous discourse, RED FLAG the post and tell the Developers why it should be removed [/li]
[li]ignore the post and don't respond to it[/li]
[/ol]

There are other measures available to you I am sure but those are in my mind the simplest and I have never personally needed to use any other.

I wish you the best, and I will consider heeding your request as I have no need to antagonize anyone. However, in this particular forum you need to consider that although you do not feel my contributions were useful, there may be others reading along that might have a differing opinion or yet others that might gain insights without even participating. If I limit my contribution when I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute I am defeating the purpose of this website.

Kudos for finding a solution to your problem.

Just a final note to show what I deal with. Here is the EXACT email from the COO about the licensing after I explained the confused state of Office licensing. Only the name has been changed to protect the schizophrenic......

If this is such a cluster bleep then I am fine with going with what we got as long as everyone has a working version of Office installed on their computer. Goom, do not worry about the legal ramifications, it sounds like we have purchased enough licenses for every machine.

ENOUGH LICENSES. Now that sounds suspiciously subjective and just might not pass muster.

Well, I was considering this thread closed as I have a resolution, but I don't really consider that idea to be a solution. There is a difference. If you want Brand A, a generic brand really doesn't do it for you. If you're not picky and/or desperate, then sure.

I know, I Know, you don't want my input nut I have to comment, really.

You have to realize that these questions / answers / comments are here for posterity. It doesn't matter whether you think the conversation is over. Sbcu had a contribution to share and it was relevant. It may not help you but it may help someone reading along. It might even help someone 6 months from now. You need to be aware of the bigger picture here. This site is for everyone, all the time. The original poster is only a minor player.

Hint - you can turn off email notification and never come back and it will be closed, at least for you. We can and will carry on without you if we feel there is something relevant to discuss.

IMHO, the issue was completed when you brought it to their attention and they said "Don't worry about it."

If you were responsible for licensing, or for doing a license audit, then it's on you.

You brought the issue to their attention. It's their decision on whether to be compliant or not. It's not on you. You are not the license police.

If you're concerned, document it and have him sign off on it. But I wouldn't "rat him out", unless you really don't want the customer any longer.

Just my 2ó

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Hate to poke a sleeping bear or a "closed" thread, but..... Did you read that I work for the owner of the company also and it is NOT the owner that said don't worry about it. I'm more loyal to the owner than to the COO that said not to worry.

I did just finish the audit and put together summary results then sent them to the COO. They have multiple computers running the same key code of Office and not enough to go around either (if each machine had been assigned a unique key code).

I'm going to wait a while and then I will contact the owner if no action is taken. If the owner wants to let it stand, then fine.

I'm sorry that I misunderstood the situation.

Just my 2ó

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back