Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearhugs28

Technical User
Aug 17, 2002
US
I just installed Win98 on my Compaq Presario 1260 laptop but after the third restart during setup it gives me the following error:

Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

C:\WINDOWS\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load.

What does this mean ? It came with the original Compaq/Win98 cd but it's damaged so doesn't work anymore.
Now i use a regular Win98 Cd rom to install it.

Bert

first off, repartition your hard disk, then format using the fat32 partition, once you have done that, go into the cmos and set to defaults and make sure the virus protection is disabled, reinstall windows 98, and hope for the best.

good luck
SMILY1

I have no idea how to get into the BIOS, when it starts up i get the big Compaq sign and then it goes to Windows, now messages nothing...

Bert

I think Compaq BIOS is accessed by pressing F10 when the Compaq logo shows up. If that doesn't work, it should be one of

F2
F10
F12
DEL [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Or possibly [F10] when the cursor gives three clicks in the upper right corner of the screen. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back