Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop fot IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldAndKnackered

Programmer
Jan 10, 2007
GB
Howdy,

Does anyone have any recommendations in regard to laptops for running IPO manager and apps (for engineers), in regard to cores/processing/memory, and also which O.S. windows 7 or 8.1? They will also be used for email, web etc.

Thanks

Just a modern laptop will work.
W7 or 8.1 does not matter as both work fine.
But every engineer will say the more power the better.
I am annoyed every time i have to reboot the darn thing and the time it takes for applications to start :)
So invest in a SSD and at least 4 gig of ram.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Yeah just about any laptop core 2 duo and higher will be fine to run IPO. Regardless of how fast you go, IPO will be limited because it runs on Java. SSD definitely helps a lot. Even a cheap one is miles better than a traditional spinning drive.

If you are using Windows 8, make sure you have the latest Microsoft Frame .NET updates. Mine were outdated and the computer refused to open manager. I finally did a full windows update and I was able to get into Manager.

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

A built in serial port could be useful though unusual these days, but you can always use a USB-Serial adapter.

A rugged model is great - if you have the money!

I went with the Microsoft Surface Pro 2. It was the only tablet running a full version of Windows when I got it. It has plenty of power. And it has a USB port, which allows it to have a wired LAN connection or to use thumb drives.

Despite the goofy ads, I have found it very handy. It is so much faster than the netbook it replaced, and it was much cheaper and lighter than a full laptop. The only drawback is the screen size, but the new ones are larger. Many reviewers didn't like the battery life. I have not had battery issues, but I don't use it to stream movies.

Too bad we can't use Apple products.......or can we?

My MacBook Pro I can use on the UCx E-MetroTel using the GUI.....very lightweight.......I'll have to get a Surface Pro for my IP Office.

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

With Windows running in Parallels or VMWare Fusion, you should be able to.

Dan

I blame Avaya.

I got our engineers these:

Really sturdy aluminium body and frame. Snappy laptop. Runs all their apps and other crap with ease.

the most important thing is, they are happy with them and dont moan about them. they also use the fingerprint scanner for logging in too.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back