Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J179 on R11 - Software Update Failed 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsm600rr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2015
US
Hello all,

I am configuring a new Deployment, IPO R11 and J179 Phones and when they are booting up I get "Software update failed"

Thoughts?

ACSS

401924mS FILESYS: (16) FilesysReader: Master Cache Failed: A:\system\primary\FW_S_J179_R4_0_0_0_21.bin (Usage = 0)

ACSS

Side Note: I patched the phones into my demo system (Both on R11.0.4.1 Build 11) and the Software Update Still Failed on the phones.

ACSS

Go to embedded file management. File/upload system files. It might want 3000 files. Then change the IP of the http server to the ip of the IPO. power cycle phone.

fonedude: Did both, did not work. Also, fails on my Demo System where the demo phones loaded the software update without any issues. Very Strange.

ACSS

teletechman: Did that, same issue on all 5 phones.

I uninstalled manager and re-installed manager, re-did the "Upload System Files", Same issue

I have re-created the card twice, Same issue.

I have defaulted the phones on my demo system, same issue.

ACSS

Sounds like a bad batch of phones. Are you plugging them into a POE switch or a POE injector. You might try an injector directly to the IPO to test if the switches have some routing that is causing issues.
Mike

teletechman: Good suggestion, they are in a POE Switch. Tried Directly out the LAN Port to a POE to the phone. Same issue.

Otherwise, after the update fails I can log in and use the phones as normal.

ACSS

Try repairing the installation of manager, then uploading system files.
What version of firwmare are the phones currently running? Is the firmware on the phone a newer release than 4.0.0.0.2? Try uploading latest firmware.
Do you have the Upgrade text file written correctly?
Are there any packet inspection rules on routers, FW, etc. blocking the traffic?

I have only run into this issue once at a client site. The fix for me was the latest firmware on the system.

So I have both the phones I had from my Demo System and my Customers system right next to each other.

Demo System Phone:
Upgrade Info
Model: J179D02A
Version Number: 4.0.0.0.21
Upgrade Date: 2018-08-28 (This is before I had the phone in hand, so maybe these were already updated to the latest version and not done from my demo PBX)
Upgrade Status: Successful
Filename: Not a listed Option on this phone
SW Version: 4.0.0.0.21

Customers Phones:
Upgrade Info
Model: J179D03A
Upgrade Date: 2019-12-05
Upgrade Status: Failed (Reason Code 5)
Filename: FW_S_J179_R4_0_0_0_21.bin
SW Version: 4.0.1.0.11

ACSS

It looks like the upgrade is failig because the phone is on newer firmware.
Customer phones, it looks like the .bin you're uploading is 4.0.0.21, but the SW Version the phone appears to loaded at is 4.0.1.0.11, if I understand your breakdown correctly.
I believe the latest version is 4.0.3.1 for reference.

Nutritional_Info: I added:
o J100Supgrade.txt
o FW_S_J179_R4_0_0_0_21.bin

To: the Embedded File Management Primary Folder

As they were not originally there after the re-create.

ACSS

What release are you on, you should make sure you are on the latest release of the IPO. The latest that I got from Avaya was R11.0.4.1.13 build1 this fixes an upgrade issue within Manager.
Mike

teletechman: R11.0.4.1.0 Build 11

ACSS

not sure as I was given this from TS for the upgrade issue.
Mike

Nutritional_Info:

This is the info on the phones failing to "Software Update"

Model: J179D03A
Upgrade Status: Failed (Reason Code 5)
Filename: FW_S_J179_R4_0_0_0_21.bin
SW Version: 4.0.1.0.11

IPO Version R11.0.4.1.0 Build 11
"it looks like the .bin you're uploading is 4.0.0.21, but the SW Version the phone appears to loaded at is 4.0.1.0.11, if I understand your breakdown correctly." That is the bin that is located in the Manager Files for this release. Which version is newer. 4.0.0.0.21 or 4.0.1.0.11?

I do see 4.0.3.1 software avail on the Avaya Downloads. Should I load that? What is the process? (new to J100's)

Can I just load the:
J100Supgrade.txt and
FW_S_J179_R4_0_3_1_4.bin
To the embedded file management? Do I need to load all of the files within the download?

Annotation_2019-12-05_152311_uhzzy8.png

ACSS

yes just upload those files and it should run correctly.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back