Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is the 3300 MXE still supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelInMyBlood

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
US
Subject says it all.
Is this platform still supported?
What is the latest (or last) hardware-compatible software load I can put on it?

Hardware replacement/upgrade is not an option. We've been a Cisco shop since 2K9 and this is the last remaining 3300/MXE still running. We only keep it for DISA (yes, we still have to support DISA for some unknown ridiculous reason in spite of the risk).

Being only used for DISA I really can't make much of a case to even upgrade it. It's currently running 8-dot something with mirrored drives and a spare unused matched set of them on the shelf.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Yes it's still supported. As long as it has 512MB of RAM in it, you can still run the current MCD 6.0 software. Even the old 1400 user LX boxes can still run current software.

Thanks Lundah!
I'm lobbying to get this thing shut off. As cheap as LD is these days (free or bundled-in with a calling plan in many cases) there is very little justification for DISA. I'm also retiring at the end of June, which will leave no one in the shop certified on it anymore.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

The Hardware, yes, the software no.

Mitel is also implementing a new training scheme where if your certs get more than 2 releases behind, you need to pay for your cert again (leader Led)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

All MXe systems from the original to the current have 512MB RAM installed.
The MXe software installed can be upgraded to the latest Rel MCD 6.0 as long as the Software assurance is active on the App record.
If you are only using it for a DISA box then I see no reason to upgrade as the current version offers no benefits of features using DISA.
Just make sure you have account codes on the DISA with at least 8 digits (12 is preferred) to try and protect you from misuse.

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

There are a few benefits to upgrade:
Trusted trunks
CRS
EHDU
All fall under the umbrella of DISA improvement, in my eyes anyway.

Still not sure if it's enough to warrant the upgrade cost though.

@kwbmitel - not heard this one about training. Had the email about the new platform and them only storing 2yrs worth of upgrade courses online so if you are 2yrs behind from middle of May then you will lose your cert. what are the specifics? All competencies or just core MCD?

@ bobcheese, I've only had a verbal discussion with the Mitel regional sales engineer.

His understanding is that if your certs expire (2 Years) then you will have to pay to recertify at the newest revision.

It may be that they will offer self study, but I don't intend to find out.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I think what I heard was that they will be dropping certs from their new training system as they get old. If you only have certification on one of the certs that get dropped then you can't do the upgrade courses. For example if you are release 9 certified ( release 9 chosen as an example only ) and they drop that certification course from the training center then you can't access the MCD 4 ( the next load still supported ) self study upgrade courses. You have to start from scratch i.e pay.

That is just what I heard but maybe we should wait for clarification from Mitel training. Might be a good idea however if you are behind on update courses, to catch up.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Anyone else and you need to throw it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back