Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRRITATING words and expressions 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyazh

Programmer
Sep 18, 2006
US
UNDOCUMENTED ALIEN -- "If they haven't followed the law to get here, they are by definition 'illegal.' It's like saying a drug dealer is an 'undocumented pharmacist.'" -- John Varga, Westfield, New Jersey.

SantaMufasa said:
Have you ever literally encountered someone who literally used the word "literally" in literally ever sentence?
At least that could be true! I find the annoyance value of lierally goes up with
too may people said:
Have you ever encountered someone who used the word "literally" literally millions of times in every sentence?

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

It is breaKfast...not brefest. I know a chef that drops the "k"

Also Minnesotan accents.

NO, not no-ah
Don't, not do-in't
About, not aboat
We go outside, not oatside

And the capital of Iowa is Des Moines pronounced "Da Moyne" not "Dez Moynes"...that's a town in WA.

Finally, stop ending your sentences with prepositions. I mean really, what would you do that for?

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”-Albert Einstein

<off-topic>
Herkiefan, do you derive your handle from the surname "Herkimer"? (...the guy that ran all of the training camps for many years?)
</off-topic>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I had heard 'cool beans' on TV and it striked me as dorky BUT I am saying it now.
I do.
I know that it is dorky but nevertheless I am saying it and you know the worse (OR BEST) part of it - I am saying it in front of my daughter's teenager friends!!!
She is turning...undescribable color.

I am laughing uncontrollably perfectly understanding how unacceptable these words are having no idea why is this so appealing for me to say it?

Was it something circa (whenever...ever?)?

How about people who end e-mails with "... If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call John Smith or myself." It's likt the "My boss took my wife and I to dinner" scenario. You would say "If you have any questions, please don not hesitate to call myself", so why would you say John or myself?

I saw a movie that was made in the 30's or 40's. One of the slang terms they used was "cool beans." I wonder if that was shortened to "cool" in the 50's and 60's?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

and stuff"

In a previous job, we had a business analyst (who dealt directly with the customers) who ended every technical description of what the product did with the phrase "and stuff." She might use it 20 or 30 times in a conversation. An example would be:
The web site will deliver efficient searching and stuff.

Nice to tell the customers that your product will do some stuff, but gee, I haven't the vaguest clue what kind of stuff. (Sadly, she really didn't have the vaguest clue about what stuff our product did. Her meteoric rise in company started right after she and the CEO went on a cruise together while she was married to someone else and ended shortly before the CEO announced he was marrying someone else.)

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Perhaps she didn't do enough (or high-enough-quality) "stuff" with the CEO

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

2ffat:

I saw a movie that was made in the 30's or 40's. One of the slang terms they used was "cool beans." I wonder if that was shortened to "cool" in the 50's and 60's?

We still say "cool beans" around here. In fact I think I've heard it used in many places.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Ninja-looter
Grinder
Aggro
Tank
Gunking
Mats

Americans who try to say: 'Bon appétit' :D

I'm sick and tired of hearing
"Your call is important to us"
spoken by a machine.

Also tired of "Press 1 for English".
I'd rather hear "No Speak English press one" and let the caller scroll through the list of most common foreign languages for their area, typically, Spanish but also French, Russian, etc.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Grenade: "We still say "cool beans" around here. In fact I think I've heard it used in many places".
Me: "Cool Beans!!!!!

She is turning...undescribable color

Excellent, you have to pay down the pain; it's your only true vengeance for when you were embarrassed as a child. :)

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Honestly? NO!!! :) I love the sound of 'cool beans' - belive it or not I just realized it sounds to me like a words from "Peanuts"...this is why I am saying it!!! HAHA! Thanks for helping me to realize this. You are the man(?) Grenade!

*boom* *boom*

After 15 years of using this alias, I am used to it ;)

You are funny...riot even! (said WHO?)

You know, in re-reading the post....

I was born in Illinois....

I have *never* heard it pronounced "Ell-in-oi".

I've heard "Ill-in-noise". I've always said "Ill-in-oi"

Did you know that in Joliet (Pronounced "Joe-lee-et") it's against the law (city ordinance) to mis-pronounce it ("Jolly-et", or "Juliet") :)

It's also illegal to take more than 3 garnments into a dressing room at a store....

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

An interesting thing about Joliet, IL--the city a few miles north of Joliet is Romeoville.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back