Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO Small Community Networking Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

usfregale

Technical User
May 1, 2009
US
I've been the proud owner of two IP Offices for about two years. I"ve spent a great deal of money buying them and a small fortune trying to make them work. That being said -- they do not function properly 80% of the time.

There are two primary problems:

1. We have a series of about 40 Avaya 5601 IP telephones at remote sites. Each site has one, possibly two phones (most have one). Periodically, these phones lock down -- that is they simply stop functioning -- like they have lost their connection to the IP Office. The VPN between the sites is functioning perfectly and the low latency queue (QOS) between the sites reveals no tail drop or other comparable issues.

Sometimes a phone will lock down after being up only a few minutes, sometimes a phone will be up for days or weeks and then lock down. A small portion of the phones that do lock down are rendered permanently unusable. That is they are never again able to connect to an IP Office even when they are local to the IP office, even after a RESET command is performed on the phone.

The VPN tunnels between the sites continue to function properly and other data traveling between the sites appears unimpacted.

2. Our second problem pertains to the Small Community Networking connection between the two IP Offices. We have SCN configured between the two sites and it is properly licensed. However, at one site the SCN status in manager always shows as "Enabled" and at the other it always shows as "Up". Obviously they should both show "Enabled". We have checked the ports between the two sites and confirmed that the VPN tunnel between the sites is open. The two sites are unable to communicate using SCN -- the only way to currently route calls between sites is using short codes pointed to the IP lines, which is very restrictive.

Any help that anyone could povide on either of these issues is very helpful. I"m sure you'll want more information, just ask and I'll tell you anything I can. As I mentioned above I'm very frustrated with the entire process and the fact that we're two years into the process and we're still having the same two problems that we've been working on since day one.

Richard

I have implemented the suggested changes regarding direct media path and the g729 codec. I don't remember why we changed to the g723, but it was done by our Avaya BP to try to resolve the problem.

I have also upgraded the ATM16 to the most current software version.

Problem remains constant.

One item I have noticed that is interesting is in System Status for the IP lines during a call one system will show the Connection Type as "RTP Relay" and the other as "VCM" for the same call. Could this be a part of the problem?

Richard

RTP is real-time transport protocol, thats the voice packets on across H323 UDP.

this need to be totally unimpeded with no messing around with packets.

So it isn't odd for one side of the same call to be using RTP and the other to be using VCM?

Richard

One side will be using VCM as the codecs will not match on the handset and line, the other will use RTP relay as the line and handset codecs must be matching, both are a valid method of connection and will not cause this kind of issue :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

I brought the two IP Offices together over the weekend on a single LAN and SCN worked without difficulty. Have a call into our Cisco partner to come resolve the problem. Also going to post our Cisco configs over in the ASA forum if any of you Cisco guys want to take a look.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

The network/Cisco guy's will always swear blind it isn't the network or network equipment, until you prove to them it is, then watch the head scratching begin :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back