Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO 406 - ports lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1chey

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
GB

We have an IP Office 406 v3.0 (59)

About every month or so we experience several digital ports on the Avaya lock up and a reboot is required to get the users working again. Its normally the same ports that lock-up.

The company that maintains the system have told me to replace the RJ45 wall ports on the phones that lock-up. Does anyone know if this will solve the issues? It seems a rather strange request, when we know these ports are working (and worked with the previous phone system).

Is v3.0 (59) a stable version, would it be worth upgrading to a later revision?

I read somewhere on here that to upgrade you have to double check the 406 version and check the memory, how do I do this?

Many thanks in advance

couple of things

i would at least go to 3.1 or 3.2 software, and if your 406 allows go to 4.0/4.1

read this to check your level

also i would swap the wallport used for the phones with a pc or other device for a while and show your maintenance company that there are no issues with the socket. i can see no reason why the wallport would cause a port to lock up

when you say they lock up, what are they displaying on the screen?

We found out recently that the power supplies originally shipped out with DS30's cannot handle all 30 ports being used (only 27) so some phones display 'please wait' when fighting for a connection.

There is a new power supply released that corrects this issue.

May not be relevant but worth bearing in mind

Matt

just noticed no mention of using a DS30 module so unlikely to be relevant

/\

From the manager it has DIG DCP30 listed, this that the same thing?

Its interesting you mention the max 30 handsets issue that might be worth looking at further...

The handsets are 5410s. They just seem to freeze - none of the buttons work etc. If the cable is removed then re-connected you get presented with the 'please wait' screen - The only way to get the phone back is to reboot the Avaya.

yes the DIG DCP30 is the DS30 module so it looks like my post was relevant. I would suggest checking the power supply reference number and if neccesary swapping the power supply for one with serial number 46YPW0002UKAE

We have flown from the south coast to edinburgh twice recently for this problem only to find out a bulletin was released in 2006 about the power supplies!!

is it DIG DCP30 or DIG DCP 30 V2?

may be worth trying a different power supply if you can?

open moniter and connect onto your 406 you will see similar to the following:

********** SysMonitor v6.0 (5) **********

********** contact made with 192.168.1.4 at 16:20:53 22/2/2008 **********

********** System (192.168.1.4) has been up and running for 4days, 45mins and 36secs(348336504mS) **********

********** Warning: TEXT File Logging selected **********

********** Warning: TEXT Logging to File STOPPED on 22/2/2008 16:20:53 **********

348336504mS PRN: Monitor Started IP=192.168.1.5 IP 500 4.0(10) Corporate FX
(IP Office: Supports Unicode, System Locale is eng)
348336505mS PRN: LAW=A PRI=1, BRI=0, ALOG=0, ADSL=0 VCOMP=0, MDM=0, WAN=0, MODU=2 LANM=0 CkSRC=1 VMAIL=1(VER=3 TYP=1) CALLS=6(TOT=10664)
348336522mS LIST2: IFACE(4) "LAN1","LAN2","Remote","Remote"
348336982mS RES: Fri 22/2/2008 16:20:53 FreeMem=82467024(97) CMMsg=10 (10) Buff=200 965 1000 7174 3 Links=14525
348337530mS CMExtnRxP: v=28
CMShortCode

The bit you are looking for is

FreeMem=82467024

over around 40meg and you can upgrade to 4.0+ software,

but i would definately look at the power supply if that is a known issue....

Guys thanks for all your help with this, I've got a couple of things to go on now. Will look at the monitor s/w and powersupply module.

Cheers

Ok, FreeMem=48427420(46) - so looks like I can upgrade to v4.0+

:)

Just checked, it is the DIG DCP30.

I'm pretty sure that the ports that lock are coming from the the digital ports on the main Avaya unit - not the DIG DCP30 mdule - I will have to double check this though.

ok, is it always the same extns that lock up?

if so try to find out which ports they are and where they are.

when i have seen this before it always seems to be local to one module and the rest of the system stays unaffected.

if a reboot is needed to clear it is a pain in the ass.

if you do decide to go for the upgrade dont forget all voicemail and client apps will have to be upgraded to the relevant software with it.

out of interest how many DIG DS30 modules do you have?

if you have more than one, swap the power supplies round and see if the problem follows the power supply

ill stop now im rambling

Its normally the same extns although the ext I added last week (new user) locked up also. Its only 2/3 users that are affected, everything else runs as normal. Next time it happens, I'll check to make sure the users are all on the same module (which I suspect they are).

We only have the 1 DIG DS30, there is an analogue module (ANALOGPOTS16v2) I'm not sure if that would have the same power supply..

off the top of my head i dont know if they are the same,

ill bet good money they are on the same module.

last time i saw this, if i did a hard reboot it cleared the problem, if i did a soft reboot the system booted in default and i had to send a config over the top (never did that again i can tell ya!).

406v2 and DS30v2

always ports on the DS30 locking

was on 3.1(65) took it to 3.2

no probs since the upgrade, so i think it would be worth your while starting to plan this whilst you play around with the power etc

Good Luck

last time i saw this, if i did a hard reboot it cleared the problem, if i did a soft reboot the system booted in default and i had to send a config over the top (never did that again i can tell ya!).

You probably clicked on "erase configuration" instead of "reboot"

the "reboot" right under the "erase configuration"

I do a lot of soft reboots and never ever had it defaulted :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

possible i suppose, it was at 6am, but i hope i would never be that stupid!

@TomMills

Everytime you save a config in manager it saves a backup file of the config on the computer. If you default the system its fairly easy to upload the config and be exactly where you were 5 minutes ago.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

oh yeah i was able to do that no probs, i was just trying to point out that (unless i was a TOTAL div and a disgrace of an engineer and did click erase not reboot) these kind of issues can be a pain and i would upgrade sooner rather than later, because it fixed it for me....

I think everyone has done something like that at 6am especially if it was after an all nighter. If they haven't they have not been in the industry long enough haha.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

I've just spent most of the day downloading the 3.2 cds from the Avaya website.

Is it safe to upgrade from 406 v3.0 (59) to v3.2 (61) ?

Many thanks for everyones input.

Happy Easter.

Cheers

Rich.

No problem just validate the upgrade. I would upgrade further if you have the proper memory available. You can check in SSA.

IP406 V2
ip406u.bin

2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0(999) > 3.1 > 3.1(999) > 3.2 > 4.1.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

the worst thing i find is when you get to a stage where you do it without questioning it....

"work all night, give up my social life you say, no problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back