Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO 406 - ports lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1chey

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
GB

We have an IP Office 406 v3.0 (59)

About every month or so we experience several digital ports on the Avaya lock up and a reboot is required to get the users working again. Its normally the same ports that lock-up.

The company that maintains the system have told me to replace the RJ45 wall ports on the phones that lock-up. Does anyone know if this will solve the issues? It seems a rather strange request, when we know these ports are working (and worked with the previous phone system).

Is v3.0 (59) a stable version, would it be worth upgrading to a later revision?

I read somewhere on here that to upgrade you have to double check the 406 version and check the memory, how do I do this?

Many thanks in advance

Don't update blindly obviously. Follow the documentation, get a backup and go through the steps you would follow for any upgrade on ANY system. Each set of CD's you download have the upgrade guidelines.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

A stupid question
He has, otherwise he could not have a 64MB version !!!

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

A stupid comment.
I missed the post with the memory listed in it.

I'd rather ask and have the question answered a second time then assume and possibly destroy his switch or cause downtime.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

A good comment then

Always read the posts completely :)
You can not answer right if you don't
But making a mistake i a good thing, like every body does
You learn from it

@tlpeter,

I think he was a bit 'duf man' as his alias suggests

@the rest,
Sorry for a dutch name joke.

Maybe it's cuz i'm not dutch, but i dont get it.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

Duf means sleepy in dutch :)

If you are not product authorized to service the IPO, and have not read all of the release notes, and checked the tech bulletins that pertain to your upgrades( more than one upgrade since some require an intermediate upgrade to a release which is not for actual usage, but to prepare the system for a further upgrade "loader") Sometimes even trained, experienced product authorized IP Telephony professionals make mistakes with this, so do not get over confident, and think this will be like updating the firmware on a router, or installing a new OS on a server, that is easier. You should probably have a DTE cable, and know how to use it since many professionals end up having to use when when they do upgrades as well. have you ever used hyperterminal?

Sorry if some do nto think these are important, and i know many think this is easy, and you are right it is, for someone who does what you do for a living.

To be safe, schedule a tech in for the next day to do the upgrade, then if you are brave try it yourself the night before. That way your arse is covered.

Also, since I warned you, my arse is covered, and those that did not are repsonsible if you muck it up, and do not have a DTE cable, or worse yet make your system unrecoverable. I have seen system PA techs have mucked up, so do not consider it impossible for a noob.

Better yet, have a tech show you how then next time do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back