Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP406 v2 and SCN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhadeshia

Technical User
Jun 22, 2007
GB
I have 2 IP406 V2 running 4.0.
When the 2 units are connected via WAN port SCN is fine and BLF is working. ie you can see all users from both sites.
When the route is changed from WAN to VPN via 2 Vigor router the SCN will work as long as the routers are not rebooted.
This can work for weeks but as soon as the Routers are rebooted we loose the SCN and No BLF info.
This does not get fixed even both Switches are rebooted.

I don know if any one has got above set up, ie SCN via Router to Router VPN?

This was happening even when both units were at 3.2(53)

System Status show one unit has no SCN and other unit has SCN OK.

Sounds like your Vigor routers are not bringing the VPN up straight away.

DO your IP routes in the IPO point the IP Lines straight at the Vigors at either end?????

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I would possibly move from 3.2 53 as we used to get loads of LAN related issues on some of our sites. We would have to reboot kit to get VM back up or indeed bring up site to site links, softconsole or indeed external lic servers.
Even if its a move to 3.2 54 I reckon your above issue may go.

There are known issues with the LAN switch on 3.2. If you use something above 3.2(54), it should have been fixed, so running 4.0 you should be ok with this particular problem.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Hi Guys thank you for your reply.

1. Yes my IP Route is directly pointing to the Router at both ends.
what I dont understand is that if I switch from WAN connection to VPN then the SCN is ok, this only brakes when the Routers are rebooted, and after this the SCN will stop working. I am not able to go back to WAN Connection as the X21 line has been terminated. So I am stuck with VPN.

I think there is a problem with the LAN Port on IP 406.
I don't think it is the Hardware as the IP 406v2 has been changed for PCS10. This was done to upgrade to ver 4.0

I would like to run Monitor to check what is not working, does any one know what to Monitor? anad how to read the results?

2. I have changed from 3.2 to 4.0(5) this did not fix the problem, as I have had this problem for long time, from early 3.2. I was hopping 4.0 will fix it!

you changed software ,even the 406,
first thing to do is change the vpn routers
use cisco routers for this

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

We have had this isssue here with exactly those routers.

Somebody from Avaya went to site and had fisticuffs with somebody from Draytek.

The outcome was the following...........

There is a timer in the IPO where by the scn may time out if the link is down for long enough requiring a reboot.

Apparently there is a setting in the Draytek that is something like master/slave. Typically one would be set to master and the other slave. The one that is master would be in charge of contacting the other end and bringing the link back up.

Apparently setting them both to master brings the link up much faster and i have advised three people to try this and it has worked on all sites.

The only thing different is that these sites were 3.2 and not 4.0

Its worth a shot.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACS - IP Office Implement
ACE - IP Office Implement
ACI - IP Office Implement

another thing worth looking at is the MTU (maximum transmission unit) on that VPN connection.

This is especially important going over the internet. The smaller the MTU the less data has to be sent for setup and data packets. This should help speed up packet re-sends, etc. when there is flucuations due to the internet. Just don't set it too low b/c the lower the number the more overhead you introduce into your network with headers and footers on your packets. The larger MTU's are key for doing things like multi-media (video/audio). However you should be able drop the MTU a bit without hurting any voice quality.

just an idea...

hi PlatinumGuy

If the IP Office has a Timer then rebooting the 406 after the routers rebooted, this should reset the timer and re connect the SCN !

Reboot of 406 does not fix the problem.

Do you know where to look for the Master/Slave configuration in the Vigor router? I had a look and could not find the settings. Unless the wordings are different.

I dont know i am afraid, i do not know that hardware.

It may also not be called master slave, that was just how tier three relayed the info to me.

Master - Slave

IN the VPN setup screens on the Draytek units you configure whether the unit dials out (master) only, Receive only (slave) or Both.

From he previous comments i suppose setting up the units to BOTH speeds uop the connection. Never tried myself

There you go!

Hi Spide it worked.
I set vpn Call Direction to Both and Ticked the Box Always on and also set Idle Timeout to 0 seconds.
This was on both routers.
Rebooted the Routers and when the Vpn link was setup the SCN started to work.

Thank You for your Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back