Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office trunk out of service alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhite432

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2012
US
I have a customer who has an IP Office system which I took over managing. I've installed and maintained many of these systems in the past but I've run into something I've never seen before. Customer has two cards each with trunk daughter cards. The system has 5 trunks and I get random trunk out of service alarms on all 5 of them. The customer originally had only 3 lines but they were still spread over both cards when I took over the system. They would call every couple of days usually saying they couldn't get an outside line or calls weren't coming through temporarily. Best I can tell it was usually when a couple of people were on the phone and then the last line would go out of service. When I go look at the system everything seems to be back working again as it should. But I notice several alarms every day. Originally I thought maybe there was something in the configuration that was weird since I didn't set it up and there were things done in ways that I wouldn't have done them. So I bit the bullet and rebuilt the whole config from scratch. Problem still occurs. I've talked with the phone provider and they have changed equipment for me but have said all along everything is working properly on their end. I've done many systems hooked to this providers lines in the past and never had any issues before. At one point I thought that maybe there was a bad card but I don't see two cards being bad. Is there something I'm missing?

is your clocking set to network on one PRI card only and fallback one 1 other PRI the rest as unsuitable?
been a while that I setup more than 2 PRi trunks since SIP is becoming more popular but I think that is the way to set it up.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I apologize. They are not PRI trunks. Regular analog phone lines. Currently there are 4 analog lines going to one card and 1 on the second card. Getting trunk out of service errors on all lines. I've changed impedence levels (auto and manually set) and talked with the phone company which assured me it should be set to 600 (which is what auto setting achieved as well). I guess I'm getting close to assuming something took out both cards on the system and they are behaving similarly. I find it hard to believe that the control unit would be causing the issue.

It would be helpfull to sum up what you got:
System version
Hardware system unit

It sounds like MWI or call waiting is enabled on the trunks.
Let the provider disable both and check if "reliable disconnect" is supported by the trunks.

It is an IP Office v2 system with two combo cards. Originally it was on version 8.1. I failed to mention that before I rebuilt the configuration I upgraded the system to 9.1.7 which is what it is currently on. The problem happens in 8.1 and 9.1.

I also spoke with the provider and MWI and call waiting are both disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back