Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office not responding to DTMF tones 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI2ner

Technical User
Jan 15, 2007
US
IP 500v2 running 10.1.0.0.0 build 237, with a VCM32 v2/PRIS U

This system has been up running for 3 years, working fine with an AT&T PRI. Last Thursday, it suddenly stopped recognizing the DTMF tones at the Auto attendant, voicemail, or any place in the system. Direct Dial calls work great, and AT&T just confirmed(?) that DTMF is making it to our phone system. (When you dial direct to an extension, the user can hear the DTMF, and AT&T brought a spare PBX to the location and the DTMF works in their system.)

We have rebooted thru the software, shut down the system and then unplugged, we have reseated the PRI Board in slot 1, and we have moved the board to slot 2. Still no response.

I have a replacement PRI board on the way, but my fear is there is something more wrong than just the board, and I trust AT&T about as far as I can throw a cement truck.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or can someone explain how IP Office processes DTMF?

If i understand. It isn't the system that has issue with DTMF it is the AA/VM Pro not recognizing the tones correct?
Have you tried to the AA internally and select an option off AA?
That would rule at the PRI/card.

@Nystech-

Yes, the AA options work fine with internal calls. We also have an IP Trunk to this system, and tones work well on that trunk. It seems only related to that PRI.

Just today we replaced the PRI card, and still have the same issue. We have tried the PRI card in other slots even. To me it has to be an issue with the PRI, but AT&T is insisting it is not.

Next step is to replace the entire system, but I don't understand how DTMF is related to the gateway itself, and why it would work on some trunks but not the PRI.

I should probably add that this is embedded voicemail, not VM PRO.

If the DTMF is processed correctly internally and even over an IP trunk then the issue has to be on the PRI side. Since you already replaced the card it is almost certainly the provider. You could replace the IP 500 V2 but I would be surprised if that fixed it.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I told AT&T today "You were blaming my equipment so I replaced it. Now I'm blaming your equipment, so you should replace your smart jack."

We have a vendor meet next week now....

Something to be thankful for: Every day I beat my previous record for the number of consecutive days I've been alive.

Well, we ended up replacing the entire system, New 500v2 and new PRI card. It started working right away. We simply swapped the SD card and everything came up and worked as it should.

Then today, I got a call that a IPO 500v2 with only POTS lines had the same issue- can't choose an option at the AA. Earlier release- R10.0.0.2 build 1 with 2 combo cards. No DTMF response when calling on any of the 5 lines- two different slots, two different boards. DTMF worked over the H323 trunk and internally.

A reboot fixed this one, for now...

So back to one of my original questions- what controls DTMF response in the gateway, and why would it work from some calls and not for others???

Something to be thankful for: Every day I beat my previous record for the number of consecutive days I've been alive.

Have you tried re-recording the prompt ?

I remember a long time ago (somewhere around R2.0) IPO had issues with certain female voices and sometimes even dialled on its own.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

@Westi

Thanks for chiming in. I did not try re-recording the prompt. I did try rebuilding the options- took them all out, saved it, and put them all back. No change.

When we swapped the SD card to the new system, it worked with all the same recordings. So it has to be someplace in the 500v2 itself. But why work on internal calls and calls on the IP trunk, and not the PRI? In fact, while we were waiting for the replacement 500v2 to show up, I had AT&T forward the calls to a number on the IP Trunk, which sent it right to the same auto attendant. That worked great.

It's a real head scratcher....

That sounds somewhat like an AT&T issue but that of course is a hard nut to crack as they usually don't admit to anything.

Is the line a SIP converted to PRI or a straight PRI?
If all else fails call the Vatican and get someone to perform an exorcism.

I feel your pain

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

@Westi-

Straight PRI.

I have the problematic chassis sitting on my desk. I'm going to set up a PRI connection to another IP Office and see what it does, or what it takes to change it's behavior. Up to and including calling the Pontiff himself.

[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back