Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office 406 V2 upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteta

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2012
US
I am upgrading from my older IP Office 403 system to an IP Office 406 V2, with VCM8 module and the compact flash for VM. Its currently at release "IP 406 DS 3.2 (61)".

Is there anything to be gained by upgrading to a later version, like 4.x or 5.x? If so, what version should I go with, where can I get it, and what is the upgrade path? Do I need to upgrade through a list of software levels to get to the end? Any guidance is appreciated.

Also, can a 403 config be loaded on a 406 so I don't have to re-program from scratch? My guess is no on this, but thought I'd ask!

I am sorry but you are not upgrading at all.
Your questions also indicates that you have no idea how to upgrade this kind of hardware.
Get a certified engineer involved.
I also recommend to get an IP500v2 instead of using such old hardware which is end of life for a while already.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Ok........number one......I am a Telecom Engineer and work with the higher end Avaya gear for a living and have been in the business for 25+ years, running the gamut from POTS to digital TDM, H.323 IP and now SIP. Number two.....I am using this system for my home office system (a geek has to have an intercom system), and am currently using a 403, but got a chance to obtain a 406 V2 with the VCM module and CF card in it for next to nothing, I know its not much, but its better than the 403 (and I can't afford the new stuff anyway). I merely asked if there was any benefit to upgrading it any further than it is. I will be using 64XX digital, 2420's and maybe a few 46XX IP phones for fun. I have upgraded the 403 before, and it was a pain doing so because I don't work with the IP Office product line on a regular basis, but it had to go in a certain order. That's all I was asking......thanks for the input.

The highest possible software version for a IP Office 403 is 3.2, so it cannot be upgraded to a higher level.
When upgrading to a IP Office 406v2 youcan re-use the additional hardware componentslike the Media card, trunk cards and VCM hardware.

The hihgest possible version is R6.1 which is what I recommend to use.
Upgrading from IP 403R3.2 to IP 406v2R6.1 is easy once you have the right software on the IP406v2, just send the 403 config offline to the 406v2, the manager will ask if you want to go from a 403 to a 406 system.
The Media cardhas to be upgraded separate, read the upgrade docs.

You can find most info and software you need here :
It is not a Avaya CM but it is very popular and versatile and nowadays it can go upto 2500 users which often knocks out the CM.

Thanks for the "point in the right direction" Intrigant! I appreciate the constructive support.

Have fun and don't get frustrated if it doesn't work out at once, the popularity of this forum is just because everybody thinks it is a simple box until they start working with it, then they end up here....
I work with IP Office from day one (10/1/2002) and I like the system from day one, our company still has a lot customers using the IP 400 platform without major issues.

You will need an upgrade license if you upgrade the 406v2 to R6 or R6.1. Your VCM 8 card will give you 24 virtual Avaya endpoints. If your connecting more than 24 phones, you will need additional endpoint license.
R5 is also popular with budget Home based/starter business running 406v2, and R5 its free.
However I'll agree with Peter a 500v2 would be Your best option, the 403/406 went end of sale almost a decade ago, Oct 5th, 2005 for the 403, and July 11, 2005 for the 406, a few Years later for the 406v2.

Andre

THanks for the pointers gents! I have the unit upgraded to 5.0 and will remain there so I don't have to purchase licensing for IP phone support. Intrigrant, you mentioned that the Media Card needed to be be upgraded separately, are you referring to the compact flash card? I thought that was just storage space for the embedded VM? I haven't found anything detailing that upgrade.

You need to upgrade the EVM card indeed.
you need to search for the manual as it is in the admin cd software somewhere.
To be honest i do nto even recall how to do it as it is a while ago.

PS, i was referring to a certified engineer because most here ask and leech and go away.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it! I will keep digging, its out therre to be found!

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back