Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want a window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2008
US
I'm only on my fourth day on a new job. I like a lot of things about it.

However, I do have one small complaint. I am the only person who does not have a window looking outside.

There are a few vacant offices. Some are pretty close to the server room. My particular office is very close to it, so I can understand why they want me close to it.

Some people have actually said that having a window makes workers more productive. It also relieves stress. I may turn out the lights and just let the sun take care of my need for light.

I'm thinking of waiting until my sixth-month anniversary to ask for a window office. Does anyone have any suggestions? What is the proper protocol for a request like this?

Why wait? Go see your supervisor/manager/boss and say:

I notice there are a few empty offices and they have windows where mine doesn't. Are they reserved for anything or would it be possible for me to move into one of them?

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

There is no harm in asking as long as it is done in a jovial manner such as exactly how SQLBill has advised.
Like the way he worded it quite a bit.

~
Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

I may also put something in about the benefits of sunlight...

I notice there are a few empty offices and they have windows where mine doesn't. I've seen/heard/read about how sunlight increases productivity and reduces stress and wanted to know if those offices are reserved for anything or would it be possible for me to move into one of them?

we have sunlight, but cubicles...I don't know if I would trade my cubicle with sunlight for an office without...tough choice, we have some awesome views.....

HTH

Leslie

In an open world there's no need for windows and gates

I got a corner with a window in December.

Sometimes it's a Bad Thing....looking out at the people who actually have lives while I beat on another server/tape drive/switch/firewall/machine....

<sigh>

I've been waiting for a window for about 5 years. I've used every tactic I can think of. The next one will be to paint a child-style "window view" (round yellow sun, little cottage with 4 windows and smoke coming out its chimney) on a large piece of paper and stick it on the wall.

Good luck.

They keep us in a dungeon...Our IT Manager has a window....to the computer room.

Well doesn't it depend on the view?
My old workplace had windows... but not a very ice view unless you wanted to stare at your car. One window had insulation from when the company expanded the office and the window now stares and a blank wall. The IT guys later put some insulation because there was a draft coming from the window.

I have a fairly large window overlooking a college hall of residence which also has large windows. At times various people come over and see if there are any feet moving around under a duvet. I draw the blinds and they’re undrawn when I get into work by those who don’t have a window. The glare on my VDU sound of traffic and college kids is annoying.

Well, I guess I'm lucky to be on the 8th floor so there's not much noise and like I said before have an awesome view out over the desert west of Albuquerque. When the moon sets early in the morning it is incredible.

I'm sorry you had look at a blank wall! but some sunlight is better than NO sunlight!

Leslie

I had a window at one office, which proided a great source of entertainment. The birds living in the trees along the office would constantly fly into the windows. They didn't get hurt but you would think they would learn.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back