Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove programs from Win 98 startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

johannesd

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2002
US
After installing trial software, it inserted itself as part of my Startup in Win 98. Now, I have to manually close it from the Taskbar very time I restart my machine.
Looking at /START MENU /STARTUP, I can't find an entry for the program. Should I look elsewhere to remove it (registry maybe..?)

Thanks in advance.

Go to Start | Run and type msconfig and hit enter. Click on the tab called "Startup" and see if you can find it here. If you uncheck the box on the left, it will not load on Startup anymore.

Thank you! I'll try it at home tonight in Win98.

is this method "msconfig" possible for win2000?

It would be contained in the registry. Under the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run key. Just remove it from the registry if you can't get msconfig to work. [sup]Tiger[/sup][sub]Flight[/sub] [tiger]
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

Win98 and XP both have msconfig.
The msconfig from Win98 will work in Win2k.
Even more to read about what stuff does, and how to speed things up: Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back