Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to prevent McAfee from startup in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merilintu

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
Hi All,

I have McAfee installed on my WinXP Pro. Due to problems it caused, especially with internet connection, I want to disable it for some time but not uninstall.

I can disabe (deactivate) the services, but the icon with red corss over it would still appear in the system tray.

It's not in the Startup folder. How can I prevent McAfee from starting automatically? The only answer I found was deleting the default.vsh file from McAfee folder but anyway it would be re-created when I start the application any time in the future. I certainly want to use it but only if I want to and look for a long-term solution.

Thanks!
Merilintu

Isn't there something in control panel (classic view) that does just what you're asking?

Easy: delete it!! MaCafee and Norton are crap ! Get AVG from grisoft.com, or Avast from avast.com: 2 good free anti virus programmes with free updates from the Czech Rep!

Smah:

Thanks! Actually I am very new to XP - had WinMe before and I did not switch to ClassicView. The McAfee indeed was there but not in the CategoryView (or I cannot find it).

Anyway in the classic view I disabled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back