Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO have2 MICS 6.1 tied together 170 sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrontel

Vendor
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Can anyone offer advice or suggest key elements involved in tying 2 MICS 6.1 ksu's together in order to have 170 sets. This will have 16 channel voicemail and 46 PRI trunks.How do they connect with one another? If KSU A has 2 pri cards for trunking how does it talk to the other switch?
Am I correct in assuming KSU A will have 3 pri cards using extra trunk module and KSU B will have 1 pri card to talk to A?
Thanks

You are correct, but I think 1 system can handle that many ports also if it is expanded software. Can anyone verify this?

10 usable fiber slots times 16 voices ports plus 32 ksu voice ports minus 1 fiber slot for nam equals 176 available voice ports/phones 46 channels of pri"2 t1s" are in main ksu >

6 ports per slot, two slots equals 12 at 16 stns
gives you 192 KSU 32 gives 228. That's one 0X32.

Gigoihor:

I thought the last 2 ports on the 6-port card was for Companion (now discontinued). My calculations only leave 10 available ports for SMs.
But still, 16 times 10 slots = 160 sets. Plus 32 from the ICS equals 192.

thats right now subtract 1 fiber slot for applications modulw/voicemail.nortel wasnt supporting last 2 slots for station or trunk modules when companion was still option. i do have sites where they are being used but was told not supported

Ok so 176,phone and 46 trunks,that aint bad ,but what about 2 switches tied togoether.Would it not be 176+192=368 phone ports.59 trunks(with 1 t1 on other switch)with 1 t1 as tie lines and the same vmail portage?

i would never do it not sure it would be seamless to users.i have a couple customers up over 100 stations and 2 t1's and i am trying to get them interested in option 11's.The norstars really start to bog down with 100 stations and 46+ trunks.

Hello, I would not recommend that many phones on a Norstar, you will most likely start to run into problems with running that many ports on a system not truly designed to handle them. Might be time to upgrade to Nortel option 11 mini or 1 cabinet option 11c.

Earlier post by Executone:

Install a point-to-point T1 between the locations and T1 card in each switch.

How to Network two Modular ICS systems together using E&M Lines:

Each E&M card handles (2) trunks each. E&M cards cannot go into the KSU. They must go into trunk modules and are only compatible with Modular ICS & Modular 8X24 phone systems.
You’ll need to order however many E&M tie circuits that you need. You will tell Telco who is site A and site B. If you are using a T-1 you will need to tell Telco which channels you want to designate E&M tie circuits. Make sure you tell them that you need Type II 4 pair circuits. Norstar will not do Type 1. The facilities interface code (FIC) for this is TL32M.
You will need to disable the card, program it to be E&M, then re-enable it.
To Disable / Enable Card:
From Terminals & Sets – Next until you get to Maintenance – Show
Next until get to Module Status – Show
Show module – Next
KSU (1):
Next until get to the correct module – Show
Mod8: ( ) cards – Press Card
Card 1: 0 lines – Press State
( ) Ports Busy – Press Disable / Enable
Disable at once? – Yes
Changing Card Type:
Hardware – Show
Show Module – Next
Cards on KSU – Next until get to the appropriate Module
Mod 08: Trunk Mod – Show
CD1 – Mod8: Loop – Change to E&M then Press Next
Cd2 – Mod8: Loop – Change to E&M then Press Next to change the third card if needed.
Now re-enable the card
Note: In order for site A to dial site B you will need to put all the E&M trunks in a line pool, assign it an access code and give that line pool access to each extension.
Line programming:
Lines – Show
Show Line:
Line049:Line049 – Show
Trunk / Line Data – Show
Trunk Type: E&M
Line Type: Pool C or any other unused pool
Dial mode: Tone
PrimeSet: 221
AutoPrivacy: N
Ans Mode: Auto
Aux Ringer: N
Signal: Wink
Ani number: N
DNIS number:N
Gain: Normal

Assigning Line Pool Access:
Terminals & Sets
Show set: (enter ext#) – Show
Line Access – Show
Line Assignment – Next
LinePool Access – Show
LinePoolA: Y – NEXT
LinePoolC: N – Change to Yes

Note: This must be done for each extension you want to be able to dial from the other site.
When callers from one side pick up their handset and dial the access code for the line pool containing the E&M trunks they will hear intercom tone of the other side. They can then dial an extension. In order for the call to ring at the dialed extension you must assign a Target Line to each extension of both sides. The Received digits will be the extension number itself.
Target Lines Programming:
From Lines – Show
Show LN: 145 – Show (target line range from 145-275 non-XC SW, 145-336 XC SW)
Target LN – Next
Private to: (extension number) – Next
Rec’d #: (enter extension #) – Next
If Busy: to prime – Next
PrimeSet: 221 (change to the extension #) - Next
CLID Set: None – Next
Aux. Ringer: N – Next
End of list

Then just assign the Target line to the phone. If it is E&M then in order for one side to dial the other side, each extension will need a target line set up for the extension. IE, Target lines 145... received digits 221... assigned to appear and ring at extension 221. When the other side picks up, accesses the E&M trunks, dials the desired extension 221 the target line 145 will pick up on the digits 221 and ring the extension.
For back to back Norstar:
t - r - t1 - r1 - e - sg - m - sb system 1
t1 - r1 - t - r - sb - m - sg - e system 2

Connect Two Systems Back-to Back using T1/PRI
Be sure to set CSU to NO. You'll program it like you would an E&M connection with each extension getting a target line with their extension number as the received digits etc.
DTI cards back to back wiring:
KSU A to KSU B
1 Rx Ring 4 Tx Ring
2 Rx Tip 5 Tx Tip
3 3
4 Tx Ring 1 Rx Ring
5 Tx Tip 2 Rx Tip

Previously I had a site that had a fully loaded norstar MICS 4.1XC. Every digital port had a phone, every fibre port had station modules, 2 - T1 cards, and a fully max'ed out companion.
The system ran fine, 8 port nam was flawless, only slowness we saw was on things like the caller ID inbound was not instantaneous on the display, it took half a second. Some other functions took half a second to update as well, although it wasnt something that the user complained about. We upgraded them to a 3 cabinet Option11c with call pilot.

I'm writing because i'm not sure if this idea is feasable - i've never tried it, but know a tech with a site that does this over analog trunks.

He's got many sites all norstar 6.1 mics, nam with multi-level ccr trees. When customers call his sites, the AA/ccr tree answers, gives the callers options then transfers them using routing codes - which flow out on analog trunks to other sites. I'm wondering if you could set up the 2 norstars next to each other, either E&M analog or T1 cards between each other (since 6.1 can do more than 2 T1 trunk cards now - in a trunk expansion module), set up the T1 cards to be E&M trunks between the switches, and use routing to send calls between the 2 ksu's?
Set up the 2 KSU's to have different extension number ranges, then use routing codes between them that match the other ksu's extension numbers for user transparency. then you wouldnt have to load one up to the max... I dont know all there is to know about 6.1 yet, so no doubt there's a better way, its a thought.

I have no choice but to use this configuration. Contractually this will be set up with 2MICS ,4 pri's and a Nam. I realize an option 11 would be better.
KSU A will have 3 pri's ,2 for megalink trunks (46) and 1 for a connection to KSU B. KSU B will have 1 pri to connect to KSU A.
Any suggestions for setting up the "private pri" between them , and how do I give sets in KSU B access to paging?
Thanks

Do you have to have telco lines at both sites ? It might be easier to serve all phones at 1 location, and EXTend
the phones to the other location using EXTenders. Might save $ and complexity. tom@rickenbackercommunications.com

Bryontel,
Have you considered using the new Norstar VOIP gateways for the linking application? I think they would work in a similar way to your PRI link, perhaps more cheaply, and when coupled with E&M cards would provide paging with DISA. I haven't used these units yet, but the linking of KSUs would seem the ideal application.

Cheers
PhM

Arr, whew, I was starting to worry about you.

MarvO said it

arr,
where do i get info on the norstar voip gateway-I thought it was for bcm only,does it work with mics?

In NT Norstar 6.1 xc you can use all 12 fiber ports. If you should go over that limit, use a pri T1 between each KSU. Install " Private advanced networking" keycodes and set up according to NTP's. I have done it, it works ( i have two 6.1's networked over 10 miles and they share the vm )
only issue I have not resolved is the did routing between ksu's; If someone out there has an answer, drop me a line.
Mike@apptelinc.com

Apptel,

I haven't done it for five years- make sure your DN's & rec'd digits are not conflicting in the 2 KSU's.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

Marv0,
The usual. Buried over my ability to knit hours into the days. Hopefully I'm out of it again for a bit.

Yahoogy,
I don't know much about the VOIP Gateway, but if I had a choice between VOIP and PRI I would first try the VOIP as it would be a LOT cheaper if it would work. Check the Nortel site, ask your vendor. I just haven't got the manuals YET.

Cheers
PhM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back