Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO have2 MICS 6.1 tied together 170 sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrontel

Vendor
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Can anyone offer advice or suggest key elements involved in tying 2 MICS 6.1 ksu's together in order to have 170 sets. This will have 16 channel voicemail and 46 PRI trunks.How do they connect with one another? If KSU A has 2 pri cards for trunking how does it talk to the other switch?
Am I correct in assuming KSU A will have 3 pri cards using extra trunk module and KSU B will have 1 pri card to talk to A?
Thanks

apptel - have you used all 12 ports of expansion for station modules? did it work?
or hte last 2 are reserved for companion ?

Just me 2 cents here.

I have been struggling to tie 2 or more MICS systems together for a while with varying degrees of success until last year, when in an unrelated conversation at my favorite watering hole, someone told me about the Adtran Atlas. This truly amazing box solved all of my problems. Now, I can have 28 MICS boxes cross connected, all sharing as many PRI's, T1, and pots lines to the PSTN as I care to put on it.

At the moment I have 7 MICS connected (with a single PRI in each) to 4 PRI's (Local, LD, inbound, etc) and life is easy. Having said this, I cannot be sure that a Central VM (ala NAM) will work in this arrangement) but I can tell you that I can dial from 1 switch to another just as if there were a T1, PRI or E&M directly between them.

I had 2 MICS tied together at one location until last year when they upgraded to Option 11. XC4.1 and XC 3.0. We used E&M cards crossconnected hard wired to each other. Customer had 160 sets on one system and 100 on the other. They shared a single PRI. The only thing they couln't do is share the nam, which wasn't an option at the time. They weren't a heavy external trunk user, and never had any problems with the KSU bogging down. This allowed them to postpone the Option 11 purchase for 2 years. Consider your customer's usage, before deciding for or against this option.

Also, if you've got 2 pri's put one in each switch and spread your users according to usage over the 2 switches. This should improve performance and you'll still be able to make calls if you lose a KSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back