Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to explain technical problems to users? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

javedi

Technical User
Apr 30, 2007
GB
Hi all

Has any one here had problems with explaining technical problems to simple users, how is this achieved?

/Javedi

Sometimes I wonder if the reason why something happened relates to the moon being being in the seventh house the aligment of Jupiter and Mars. Some of you may know what that references.

Do I really belive that? Nope, but like pixies and gremlins, it's another reason I can offer, when the situation warrants.

What I found helpful in other situations is respecting the user (and making sure your tone of voice reflects that,) and using analogies.

I have a few "How To's" on a network share. Sometimes a user is willing to read them, sometimes not.

Thanks SQLSister for the pixies and gremlins, some of my users will be hearing about pixies and gremlins in the near future, have to change my standard lines once in a while.

Jeff

Jeff,

Peace will guide the planets, love will steer the stars, but users will never, ever understand that "don't store anything on your hard drive unless you don't need it backed up" means "we ain't backin' it up for ya".

All new users are given a 'how to' by me on their first day of actual work (not during their work training). I show them where files are stored on the server, how to backup their bookmarks, and, if they decide to use the Outlook archive function, how to store a copy of their PST file on the server as well.

If you're going to assume, then you must assume that the users are not computer literate. It's just easier that way.

javedi said:
I too believe users do not need to know...

My entire career has been built on learning things I did not "need" to know - if your users are curious, you could help them to develop their own careers in ways they've never thought of.

Also, if your users learn about the technology, you get less simple work and can concentrate on the important stuff.

AND, if you can explain things in simple terms, you will get seen as the users' "friend" and as a serious expert - your career will benefit! The more respect you show to your users, the more you will be respected, and appreciated.

Oh, and most users aren't "simple users", just unfamiliar with the technology.

The whole TT ethos is about offering help to those who want to learn.

Most people here have benefited from that, it's only fair that we pass it on.

Rosie
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

But what if the user reports that the computer has entered the wrong information?
"It did that before when I entered a customer's address details"
That is not pixies and gremlins, that is the computer which cannot be trusted to do the job.
Pass me the abacus, I have a calculation to do!

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back