Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you get rid of XP Tour? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

When configuring a new PC with XP on it, when logging in I get the XP Tour message on the task bar. Is there a way to disable this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Zoey

If I remember right open it up and either click cancel or the X in the upper right.

paveway [machinegun]

Looking for help check the FAQ's first then do a search then ask. Worked for me.

Thanks for your reply.

Tried that. Does not work. You click cancel but the tour comes back at next logon.

In the bottom left han corner of the tour box there should be a place to check do not show this again just like in win 98

Vandellia,

Thanks for the reply.

There is no option to uncheck. The tour display is different than Windows98.

Start, Run, MSCONFIG. Look at your startup programs. Kill it.

Bcastner,

Thanks for your reply.

This is not in the "Startup" from MSCONFIG. To better explain. When a new user logs in they get the "Windows Tour" icon on the task bar. You click on it, then click "Cancel". Now when you logoff and log back on the tour does not reappear. The problem is that each new user that logs in to these workstations (there will be several users logging in) they will get this tour. I'm trying to figure out how to turn this off so each new login does not get this. I know there is a way to turn this off but I can't find it.

TIA,
Zoey

From Jsi:

The first 3 times that a user logs on to a Windows XP Professional computer, they receive a balloon prompt for the Windows Tour.

To suppress the prompt for all new users:

1. Use Regedit to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour. If the Tour key does not exist, use Edit / New / Key and type Tour.

2. Use Edit / New / Dword and type a Value Name of RunCount.

3. Double-click RunCount and set the data value to 0.

4. Press OK.

5. Exit the Registry Editor.

To suppress the prompt for an existing user, navigate to their Hive's Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour key and perform steps 2 - 5.

Let me retrack my answer. Bcastner, this is the correct info, this should work. I assumed it would work. This is from Technet. If you can believe it after entering this in the registry the Windows tour still comes up for a new user. I thought it worked but did not realize I had already canceled the windows tour while logged in. Don't you just love Microsoft. They give you a fix and it still does not work.

Thanks for your help.

Ok I miss understood the question too. You don't want it to come up at all even with new users.

paveway [machinegun]

Looking for help check the FAQ's first then do a search then ask. Worked for me.

Yes sir...But the fix Bcastner noted should fix that but it does not work

I think it will work. If the user is not defined, the HKLM portion of the registry hive is controlling during installation. After the user is defined, the HKCU is the controlling factor. So, if you change the first portion of the hive, but the user is already defined, you need to edit the second part as well.

BTW, for any new installations, find this:

How to: Disable Windows XP Tour balloon prompt during installation.
1) Edit HIVESFT.INF
2) Add the following entry:
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour","RunCount",0x00010003,0

Hey, how about doing it with group policy?
From Will Butler:

"I created a custom template to do this. It seems to work just fine. In order to see the policy you must unchek the "Only show settings that can be fully
managed" box under Filtering in the View menu.

-Will butler

CLASS MACHINE
CATEGORY !!categoryname
KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour"
POLICY !!policyname
EXPLAIN !!explaintext
VALUENAME "RunCount"
VALUEON NUMERIC 0
END POLICY
END CATEGORY

[strings]
categoryname="Tour of Windows XP"
policyname="Disable the tour of Windows icon"
explaintext="This policy Disables the "Take a Tour of Windows XP" icon"
labeltext="Disable icon"

C:\windows\system32\tourstart.exe is where the file is, just delete it.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Bcastner, Marcs, and everyone else, thanks for the many suggestions. I will try your suggestions and let you all know.

Thanks much!!!!

It doesn't work. I tried it on 3 different PC's and it continues to "pop-up".

I'm setting-up 10 pc's, with 9 users each. No way I'm going to wait for the 3 log-ons - each rofl.

Regards,

drk

As posted before, just delete the exe.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Well one way to do it is this.

First user that logs on a pc start the darn tour (I prefer the non animated one as I can kill it straight away).

Then after you have viewed it copy this profile to the Default User Profive and no new user should be prompted about the tour as it has been watched.

You could create a Default User Profile with all the settings you need and then on a new machine just copy this over the existing one.

This will let you have your settings for screensavers, explorer views, taskbar settings etc etc.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back