Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you get rid of XP Tour? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

When configuring a new PC with XP on it, when logging in I get the XP Tour message on the task bar. Is there a way to disable this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Zoey

drk1

If you do what I said in a previous post it works. So basically create one profile you are happy with then copy it over Default User on every new pc and your new users should never be prompted about the tour.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Ahhhh...

OK, I started with a PC that only had the admin account set-up.
I installed bcastner's version# 3.
Added the 10 other users.

No Tour balloon or icon in the tray for any of the users.

I did the same thing to the next PC with good results.

Thanks to All, with a special THANKS (and star) to bcastner

Regards,

drk

Here's another possibility (from a recent LangaList) in this never ending story.

"Custom XP Installer

Hi Fred, I found a extremely nice tool for making a custom XP installer installing ONLY what you want and not what MS wants and its FREE!! It will build a integrated iso with your cd key in so its truly a hands free install and better yet without all the unnecessary junk the install is very fast. My Athlon 2000 will install from fresh to finished the way I want it in under 20 minutes and uses just over 800mb os space!
Check out this site. I think you will be pleasantly surprised as I was this is a very slick tool.

You do need to exercise some caution but the tool will warn you if you try to remove a important component.

Aloha, and thank you for the terrific mews letter Fred!,
Shawn

Thanks, Shawn! nLite is currently in late beta, so some extra care is advised. It also requires the hefty ".Net Framework" to run. A similar tool--- it's been around for a long time, and is well-proven--- is . Both are worth a look is you want to pare down a Windows installation."

This is definitely a post worth reading - I think I've seen a couple articles mentioning the 2 programs in the last post there - very interesting idea behind them both, indeed.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back