Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you get rid of XP Tour? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

When configuring a new PC with XP on it, when logging in I get the XP Tour message on the task bar. Is there a way to disable this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Zoey

marcs41,
That didn't work...
Well at least the three times I tried it.

i've tried everything that's been posted here.

drk

weird...

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Open notepad and copy/paste the below into a file called stop_tour.vbs :

******** begin copy/paste below this line
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WSHShell, n, p, itemtype
Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

p = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour"
itemtype = "REG_DWORD"

n = WSHShell.RegRead (p)
errnum = Err.Number

if errnum <> 0 then
WSHShell.RegWrite p, 0, itemtype
End If

Set WshShell = Nothing

********** end copy/paste above this line

You can place this in the Startup script location using Group Policy, or place it in the Startup Folder for All Users.

bcasnter...
Thanks for offering the assistance.

I had a feeling that Notepad would re-format the text. I tried to run it "as-is", got a Script error. I edited the text and the script ran fine, well almost...
We still get the "Take A Tour yada yada yada.

This is now becoming a me against them thing. :)

During the time this tread is going on, several Tours would already been started, closed and be gone by now ;-)

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Alright, I reread the revised KB:
Open notepad and copy/paste the below into a file called stop_tour.vbs :

'Version 1.1

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WSHShell, n, p, itemtype

p = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour\RunCount"
itemtype = "REG_DWORD"

n = WSHShell.RegRead (p)
errnum = Err.Number

Set WshShell = Nothing

marcs41 says
"During the time this tread is going on, several Tours would already been started, closed and be gone by now".

Ha I wish it was that simple.
I have 10 PC's each with 9 users (currently) more to add soon.

I agree it would have been easier to just sit there and sign-on as each user 30 times rofl
Hmmm 270 sign-ons.

drk

Hey all,

My problem got resolved like this:

(1) Create a test user on the network domain. Give this test user admin privleges.
(2) Login as the test user. Setup the desktop the way you would like (i.e, icons, printers, Internet Explorer, email, etc).
(3) If the Windows tour comes up just reply cancel.
(4) Logoff and log back in as the test user. See if the Windows tour message comes up. If it does, again cancel, logoff and log back on as the test user (you may have to do this a few times until the Windows tour goes away).
(5) Logoff and login as the Administrator to the "Local Domain". Delete the contents of the "Default User" profile (do not delete Default User folder just the contents).
(6) Copy the contents of the Testuser's profile (from step2)into the "Default User" folder.
(7) Now login as new users and see if the Windows Tour reappears.

Good day all...

Interesting read this one was (as I read this, I "sound" like Yoda).

Doesn't MARCS41's suggestion to delete the exe provide a simple solution or is there something I've missed?

Additionally, was this thread really started in Jun 2003?

Thanks to all. I learn a bunch from 'watching' you folks help each other.

Marcs41 suggestion would invoke the wrath of Windows File Protection and it would simply replace the file immediately.

I think there are two valid "solutions" offered: a registry edit to set the tour count "During the startup process, Windows queries for the existence of the following value:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour\RunCount

If this value is set to a positive integer, that integer is decremented by one. If the setting is set to zero, the tour is suppressed. MS KB 311489" and what is the same thing, letting the tour count go to zero and copy user.dat into the default user profile.

my deleting suggestion does work, but you have to at least run it once.

The next step is the solution was offered above by Jump1ng, you do it for one profile and copy that profile to create the other users.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

TourStart.exe will launch Tour.exe in this location -
Windows/ Help/ Tours/ MM Tour

Tour.exe is a Flash Player.

linney, that wsa what I referred to in my post from Jun 23

marcs41,

Your suggestion on June 23: "C:\windows\system32\tourstart.exe is where the file is, just delete it." Will not work due to Windows File Protection.

Linney is suggesting deleting tour.exe in /Windows/Help/Tours/MM Tour/

My suggestion will not work with an existing user, as the registry key examined for a current vs. new user is different.
So, revision #3:

'Version 1.2

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WSHShell, p, itemtype

p = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour\RunCount"
itemtype = "REG_DWORD"

p = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour\RunCount"
itemtype = "REG_DWORD"

Set WshShell = Nothing

Really strange, as I tested it as described a few post back.
Log in ONCE, let the tour run, delete the file and us that profile to create other profiles.
This was on XP Pro US version, no SP's.

Marc

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

If you copy the profile to the default profile, you are copying user.dat which contains the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive.

Copying the profile to the default profile (as I noted in my post) resolved my problems. I'm not sure why this is getting so complex????

I almost hate to keep posting, "whining" is NOT my intention!

I just tried bcastner's revision #3. Still No Go.

I even went so far as to have someone else "proof" the work I've done so far.

zoey, I'm working with an entire lab of PC's, I'd like to find a way to install one script or program on each PC and be done with it. All the extra copying, deleting, changing is fine for a single PC or two.

Regards to All,

drk

IF they are all identical PCs, did you consider Ghost or similar?
IF not similar, did you consider an automated roll-out, or a unattended install.
That would shave HOURS of you install time, and leave you the time to manually go through it.
After all, before you hand a PC to a user, surely you must log in as them to fine-tune, in which case you can also click the close tour.
Or, am I missing something?

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back