Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get rid of "External" tag on incoming caller ID? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zax123

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2006
CA
Hi all,

I recently set up a couple of VOIP trunks on an IP Office Small Office Edition.

Whenever a call comes through, while it is ringing, the caller id says "External (" followed by the caller's name and then ")". On an analog cordless phone, this leaves little room for the caller's actual name.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the "External ( )" tag? Not sure why it is appearing.

Thanks!

Robert

I have too researched this but have been unable to find a fix for it.

It would be nice to somehow get in touch with Avaya directly to ask them about this, but I really wouldn't know how to do that.

BUMP

I hate to do this, but it's still bothering me for every call to have the word "External" in front of the caller id name...

If anyone knows how to get rid of it (or maybe how to contact Avaya directly to ask them), please let me know!

Thanks.

You cannot get rid of the word "External", this is the way AVAYA works with incomming calls.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

If that is the way Avaya works, why do they only add that tag to SIP calls? When I receive calls through POTS, it doesn't add that flag...

Oh well, that's a really strange "feature". Can I trick it into thinking it's an internal call or something?

You can thank the British for all the oddities in IPO. Avaya brought it from a British company. That is why the logic is so foreign to the USA. Unless Avaya did a complete rewrite of the system software, we are stuck with that mess, both hardware and software!

....JIM....

I can think of some US thing where we think the same :)

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Sarcasm, it's only one of the services I offer.

What "Caller display type" do you use on the extension itself?

Try "FSKD" is the phones supports is, it should switch from external to number in 2 seconds or so.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

It never ceases to amaze Americans that the world is bigger than America and that the other countries don't build stuff to suit the American market.....how dare they :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

You can thank the British for all the oddities in IPO. Avaya brought it from a British company. That is why the logic is so foreign to the USA. Unless Avaya did a complete rewrite of the system software, we are stuck with that mess, both hardware and software!
it is all the unnecesary ammericanisms that have been added to the IPO that cause all the problems!

When are you guys accross the pond going to update your telecoms networks to 20th Century standards (I realise that 21st would be pushing you guys too far :) )!

I tried to avoid it but I seem to get some perverse sence of satisfaction from winding up septics, all in jest of course (I dont want them blocking my entry next time I fly over)

Another one:

When a user is busy then you should be able to tranfer a call to that user anyway.

I know busy is busy but they want to see or here that you are busy but still be able to transfer that call to you.

I have it working partly by Intrigrants idea but it does not work well when it is twinned (internal)

Actually, I'm Canadian, so often times, we're more like Brits than the Americans. :)

I'll try the FSKD setting, but I actually get the name appearing as well, so I don't want only the number appearing. By that I mean, let's say I get a call from "John Smith" who is calling from "202-555-1212", the display will read:

External (John Smith)

I'm thinking that changing to FSKD might give me:

202-555-1212 -- or at worst: External (202-555-1212).

Anyway, too bad there's no way around this. :(

Transfer to a busy extn.
This is one of the things that call aperances totaly F**k up for the user.
if there is a spare Apperance thn you dont get busy to know the phone is in use

On a single line phone you can use the feature "Camp on" & give the dest a call waiting tone if req.
(DT series handsets used to give you options of Camp-on or Voicemail so that the usere could decide whre the call should go :) )

Who came up with call appearences then? Oh that's right...Avaya made changes to the system the British supplied them and added call appearence keys as well as other things that messed it up :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

IPGuru, you can do this (only not with twinning)

Set forward on busy to a shortcode (see below)
Make a shortcode like this:

*80XX
call queue
N
Line id 0

When a user is busy you will get a busy signal and the call will be put in a park slot for that user.
When the user hangs up then the call is presented.

With twinning this only does not work on the twinned phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back