Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get my Boss fired 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdognz

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
NZ
Dont take this too seriously but i want to know if anyone has had success in getting there boss fired.

My boss is completly incompetent and this frustrates me immensly. I like to work hard but the harder I work the better it makes him look even though he does very little...anyone got any suggestions or stories?

Leave... He'll soon be floundering in a whirlpool of his own incompetence.

Then, once his bosses fire him - apply for his job.

NEVER try. It will only make you look bad, and you will get fired also.

Leave if at all possible, otherwise support your boss, it will become obvious to others that you are doing the work he is supposed to. Any work that you summit should have your name on it so he can't pawn it off as his work. Try to make it hard to get rid of your name on the report.

If you have a 3rd person at your company that you can talk to that would be great.

Go on vacation & don't give your boss the phone number (if he instists give them one, with one diget wrong, say it was a boo-boo)

Good luck
Bruce

Depends on how vicious you want to be...
<grin>

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

yeah well i cant afford to get fired :)
ill just ride it out...

It really depends on your position with in the company.

Document the issues you are having with your supervisor. The catch is, none of it can be personal. Document specific occurances when your supervisor failed to perform acording to company policy, not just in your personal opinion. The better your documentation is, the better your case to upper managment will be.

Once you have collected significant documentation on the issues your supervisor is causing, write a formal report and submit it to upper managment. Be aware if your supervisor has personal attachments to his own supervisor, then you will want to go up one head further until you can give your complaint to a manager who does not have personal ties to your own supervisor.

Just be prepared to loose your job, or have it made difficult. Most companies will avoid terminating you (you can sue for retaliation), but will have no problem in re writing your job description.

thats some good advice ill start doing that from today :D

There is another way, although this is an old thread and I'm sure your problem has resolved one way or another.

Do a stellar job; make him look so good that they promote him/her. Incompetence is the result of poor management, and the only way to rid a company of it is to have someone over the incompetent person see they are not doing their job. Presumably there is someone in the top brass that knows what good work looks like and will see that this person does not measure up.

Often, the problem with incompetence is that it is a multi-layer incompetence, with an upper management type protecting a middle management type. The uppers think the lowers know what they are doing; the lowers think they are doing well. This entrenched style of incompetence is very difficult to remove, and almost always causes the termination of an underling who blows the whistle. Usually, the blame is transferred to the person who points out the problem, rather than the people causing it.

So, bottom line, do what you do because of who you are. Do not let your incompetent boss make your work quality less. Take pride that you have done your best regardless of what the boss knows or doesn't. Never, ever work against the company’s goals and plans. If you sabotage the boss’s work, you will become their scapegoat for the next year (after you are fired with cause). If you don't perform to their expectations, you will be downsized. If you start a mutiny of attitude, you will be labeled a troublemaker.

If, on the other hand, you do your best quality work, you can begin to put the word out that you are looking. Others will be able to learn that your work is the type they want in their company. Resumes are cheap to print, but always research the prospective company before you agree to move. Some companies are worse than others (even your current one) and you will become very bitter if your new boss is worse than your old one. By all means, go on the interviews for the jobs with these companies. After all, how many chances do we get to hone our interview skills, but that does not mean that you should automatically accept a job that will nothing more than a change of scenery.

Keep in mind; what you do is your choice. You choose to do a good job, just enough, or a poor job. Others will judge you based on the choices you make.

When U need your bosses' assistance, send it to the boss in a email and request that they email the solution back to U. If your boss needs to get assistance from somebody else, request that a courtesy copy of the email be sent to U all the way to solving the problem. Once a month send a email with a list of all unresolved issues. When the boss requests a evalution from U, find yourself another job, then email to his supervisor all the problems that your boss never solved, and a couple of pages why that boss is hurting the bottom line for the whole corporation.

I have had the opportunity to work for incompetent bosses in the past. Beware, the boss got to that level of incompetence by some method other than the Peter Principle. That is, the boss either knows someone, has something over on someone, has strong personal presence and/or charisma, or has been with the company a long long time. In any case, it is not an easy task as the boss will have allies. Worse yet, if he can determine that you are trying to undermine his position, he can fire you.

In my most recent experience, it became widely known through informal channels that said boss was not entirely competent. Eventually (and you can perhaps (very carefully) speed this process), it will get around to that boss's boss that there are "rumors" of incompetence, etc, and that boss will probably have to take a closer look. If not, then you will need to wait until the informal channels also begin to criticize the boss's boss for failing to recognize the incompetence or failing to take action.

In said circumstance, my saving grace came from someone in HR who told me that I should relax as I was making considerable more money than my boss. After the initial shock factor, it became easier to come to work each day, even if I did spend 20% of my time doing that boss's job, or correcting his mistakes.

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot do, teach.
Those who cannot teach, manage.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

Take a vacation or just move on if you are frustrated.

Just live with it - it's only a job, right?

Whatever you do, don't go sending documents around listing all your boss's shortcomings - even if you've already found another job. You might that that (ex-)boss to write you a reference one day. Never burn a bridge if you don't have to.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Hmm- come to think of it, at my previous job, I was making as much or more than my boss.
Wierd- I really don't understand how we wind up making more or less money- maybe the topic for another thread?

cheers
Jay

I wouldn't recommend you "work" to have anyone fired. Instead, work on your own performance. Make sure it is where it needs to be and document what you do.

It is actually pretty rare that management does not discover producers pretty handily and that less optimal performers are passed by.

Should you work at some place where it is the rare occurrance and you are only succeeding at advancing your bosses career (I remain very skeptical), I still advocate maintaining your performance.

However, if that is the case, you are going to eventually have to change employers. Not overly difficult as a producer. Just start the process while gainfully employed. It isn't a lack of loyalty, simply finding a better fit that benefits both parties.

If you are not perceived as a producer - and you are one - best to find a place where that can be recognized.

Most of all, have fun in what you do. You have to do it several days a week and many weeks in a row.

Matthew Moran
Read my career blog at: Musings: Todo esta bien.. Todo esta divertido (it's all good, it's all fun)

I have worked in both private and public sectors as a contractor, self employed and other forms of "employment" The comments and suggestions from our friend mmorancbt seem either very naive or he/she has been very fortunate with employers. If I had to choose between private and public sectors I would opt for private every day. OK it's tough, I can do tough, what I find difficult is tolerating incompetence. The layers of bureaucracy cushion bad managers for years. When you are wasting public money no one seems to care. I have seen grown men weep in frustration and ayone who cares or is "productive" is simply abused. Oh and by the way it's just as easy to ignore your documented production as undocumented. Perhaps by leaving to work elsewhere is only perpetuating the bad system ?

Loppydog is a friend of SamCant.co.uk

I've got to agree with Loppy, I've seen horrible managers continue to gain praise and promotions by keeping their employee's down. I've seen managers fight for a raise for themselves while leaving their staff without anything (nearly got fired at that meeting, calling all of upper management greedy *&^%'s tends to rub people the wrong way).

Every place has different procedures and policies for promoting people. Finding a perfect situation is rare and often times you'll run into people that confuse you on how they received their job (thankfully, I've only had one such person thus far...on a side note, he just made VP at my former employer).

The best bet is to protect yourself, document everything you do. Even if you're not sending it out to the masses for review keep a copy of this for you to utilize, should the need arise, and begin the search for a better fit.

everyone has some very interesting and good points. i also don't think that you should work to get your boss fired. if i had a valid problem with my boss and valid complaints, however, i would speak up about the problem. whether or not you speak up about your problem, that doesn't necessary guarantee that you will get a good reference from this person or not. and it may be the other way around, rather than it making you look bad, it might actually make your incompetent boss look bad.

I agree that you should not "try" to get a boss or anyone else fired. I hate to mess with anyone's ability to pay their bills. :) I certainly don't want someone to mess with my ability. Yet read on:
I have recent experience. I've worked at the same place for over 8 years. The boss was a female and had been really supportive about flex time, family related issues, and you can visit with her about anything.... well .... anything except work.
She was moody and difficult to read from day to day and from hour to hour. Someone you'd love for a neighbor but not as your boss.
She had real control issues, was insecure, and a bit paranoid. She felt that upper management viewed her and our unit as a step child.
She would have incidents where she would become in your face aggressive and sometimes even cross the line. I've been back up against the cube, yelled at because I wouldn't argue with her, denied anything more than a footnote for advances I've made in our unit, and one incident I was sure she was gong to duke me, etc...
Her inappropiate actions were followed by peace which allowed an employee to recover before the next incident. Then this last year the incidents became more often and she simply got out of hand. I believe this increase was as a result of her personal life.
In one recent incident she threated to write me up because I expressed the she made me feel uncomfortable when she expected me to keep tabs on my co workers and seemed to disbelieve when if I didn't have an immediate answer. When I tried to visit with her about her hostile agressive behaviors she explained that I sounded like another employee and she expressed that she was now going to demonstrate what hostile agressive was...ok..so now she was making a concious decision to be agressive....I walked out and two days later found the incident still bothered me and my work performance. For the first time in my career went to upper management.
I went with a list and kept focused on work related incidents,starting with the most recent. I explained to them that my general thought is when things are bad enough you feel you need to go to upper management it's time to move on....however with the job market in our area being down and layoffs.... this wasn't the time to jump ship and I could no longer say nothing. That the incidents were now frequent enough that there was not enough time to recover before the next.
Nothing happened. But within weeks another employee (who has complained for years) began to complain to personnel again, an investigation was made (and more employees shared simular stories about our boss) and well after almost 30 years of working with this company she resigned for a new job.
Am I happy. Yes and no. The immediate threat is gone but I am sure that my prospects with this department are Zero. In the past I was the lead on most new projects and now I'm not even included. The price has been high. My ego damaged (I'll get over it I'm sure).
Currently I am rewriting my resume and looking for jobs in the area I live. At best I've gotten rid of an immediate stressor while I look for another job. Those that remain or follow me into this unit will benefit.
Would I do what I did again. Probably not. Did I do the "right" thing...probably. But right often isn't right.
I should of returned to work after the last incident and worked for a day or two. When I realized I couldn't get beyond it...take off a week with sick leave. Then returned to work, secured a written reference from her, and began a job search.... and tolerated it just long enough to move on (in our area and at my pay that could of been 18 months). AT least I'd have a written reference, still be involved in projects I enjoy, and not been dealing with a "protender" boss now, while I waited to improve my situation.
But if you do follow my lead and complain be sure you have documentation, e-mails, so that they may rewrite your job description or cut you out of projects ... but you job will probably be secure while you look to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back