Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How bout' some practice boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohhdamn

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
US
I hope you all will forgive me for not being a professional in the sense that i get paid to mangle computers,i just do it for fun!The average technical support person is no help(ip tech support anyway,earthlink i mean)Im confident in the dial up configuration but think the problem is somewhere in the way my SOFTWARE is configured.i have a mtu speed program that allows easy changing of a few choice parameters but i have no clue as to what does what(i do program machines for a living far simpler than a pc but im not totally dumb any one willing to spit out a brief explanation of what settings are most important to my internet connection will be unbelievably appreciated!!)heres the run down in full.
computer is dell optiplex xm5133(formerly xm590 until proccessor upgrade to pny quickchip@200 mz)i have 32 megs of ram im running win95 of course and use IE 5.5.the computer ran fine,best it could for what is anyway,until some one gave me office 97 for free,well i loaded it up decided i didnt like it enough to keep it.well i should have kept the cd cause without it i couldnt uninstall(yea i know yall knew that)so what do i do format c: and load win95(old floppy set no cd) from scratch,i have the socket 2 update installed and IE 5.5 from earthlink cd.the internet is a sloww undependable thing now with average 10 min page load for average page(this site was a sumbitch!)if it even ever comes up.PLEASE people help a person out god will like for it(me too!!)just give me some key spots to look and maybe an explanation or two.any response greatly appreciated!!!

sincerly REGEDIT.MANGLE

Try going to modem config and change maximum speed from 9600 to 115200

Here's a whole bunch of reading on what does, and what doesn't work, a couple specifically referring to MTU (and other settings in your program).
Once you've tweaked yourself (and your modem) into submission, post back with the exact chipset on the modem, and we'll fine tune it for you. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

it might take me a little while to read thru and try the things youve listed but ill be back and THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back