Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How avoid undesidered isdn connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmeg1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
IT
I have a network with 3 win2k professional pc and 2 w98 machine using the same ip subnet 192.168.xxx.xxx. I also have a router isdn (Elsa) in the same subnet (192.168.1.1).
I do not have a dns and wins server.
I configured the default gateway on each machine to use the ip addres of the router and the preferred dns to use the ip address of each own machine while the second dns is pointing to the router ip address.
Often browsing the network to find shares on the others pc or making a drive map and using the resource on the other pc the router calls my ips (I think trying to resolve the name), even if i can use the shared resouce.
Can anyone tell me the right configuration I can use and if there is a workaround that permit me to avoid the use of the wins and dns server?
Thanks

Well, first off if you're not running a DNS server, instead of referring each machine to itself for DNS you should refer it to your ISP's DNS server, or not specify one at all. As far as resolving addresses on your local LAN, you can use host files on each machine.

The file can be found on your 98 machines at c:\windows\hosts, and on your 2k machines at c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Add a line for each machine's IP address, tab and add the machine name. For example:

192.168.1.1 router
192.168.1.100 98pc1
192.168.1.101 2kpc1
Marc Creviere

Ok, I will try this solution. Last question: do I have to keep the default gateway pointing to the router or not?
Thanks for the help.

Yes, the default gateway should be the router if you want the PCs to be able to get to the internet when they actually need it.

The hosts file is the first place windows looks to resolve names, so make sure you have all the machines they might be looking up on a regular basis in there. If you enter an address that isn't in the hosts file, it will still query dns.

If you want to stop DNS queries altogether, remove DNS server entries from your client machines. Of course, if you do that, they won't be able to find sites on the internet. Marc Creviere

Thanks, tomorrow I will try. I will tell you the result next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back