Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with company values "mantra" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2ckb

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
GB
Hi all,

First and foremost I'd like to say that I am not here for your help with a marketing campaign, however, CajunCenturion, if you think this post is inappropriate then please feel free to delete it if it doesn't sit well with you due to the commercial backround of the question.

I work for a company whose logo is a large 'B'. We have a marketing campaign under construction to try and make some company core values more commonplace in the business using the 'B' element as a preposition to three words to highlight the key values.

The key values chosen are safety, environment and quality. Using the B for the first two is straightforward - "B safe" and "B green" appear to be the obvious choices, but the third one chosen by the department to signify quality - "B excellent" just doesn't sound right to me.

I think it gives the wrong impression for a number of reasons - "be excellent" is not used in day-to-day parlance, and the use of the word "excellent" (if we were to disregard the Bs) for me overpromotes the company somewhat. I am also struggling to get the idea of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure out of my head either. [bigsmile]

I've passed my views back to the marketing department, but for those views to be deemed "constructive" (I believe that they may have received some other negative responses) they would like me to come up with some suitable replacements.

I'd be interested to know the grammar rules as to when "be" can be used as a preposition and if anyone can think of a suitable replacement, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks to all in advance.

Nick

Nick said:
I'd be interested to know the grammar rules as to when "be" can be used as a preposition
Actually, "be" (in the context you have given) is never a preposition...you are using it as an imperative verb form.

The only 'Be's that I can think of as prepositions might be: "beside" and "between"<grin>.

In direct reference to your concern, above, with "B Excellent", I don't see anything grammatically less acceptable than "B safe" or "B green".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

I think the question is fine.

Now to the grammar. Be is being used as a verb, followed by an adjective, in an imperative statement. (You) be safe; (you) be green; (you) be excellent. It sounds like you're looking for an adjective that refers to high quality craftsmanship. Excellent is perhaps too generic and broad to convey the meaning you intend.

Am I correct is assessing that you're looking for an adjective that means "high quality craftsmanship" that can be used in a similar imperative sentence?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

I suppose B all that you can B is taken. [wink]

B Excellent may simply sound odd due to the soft vowel start of Excellent as opposed to consonants Safe and Green. It might also be the quantity of syllables that sets it apart.

Any Manager Buzz words will do (a quick look at motivational posters web sites helps)

B Active, B Proud, B Happy, B Involved, B Engaged, B Worthy, B Smart, B Brave, B Inspirational
B Curious, B Wise, B Persistent, B Yourself, B Resilient, B Positive, B Insightful, B Innovative,
B Responsible, B Modest, B Consistent,

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

If you don't care for B Excellent, would B Exceptional pass muster?

I passed your request around our group here, and they came back with:
[ul][li]B Adequate[/li][li]B Passable[/li][li]B Tolerable[/li][li]B Satisfactory[/li][li]B Crafty[/li][li]B Cool[/li][li]B Boffo[/li][li]B Bonnie[/li][li]B Fantabulous[/li][li]B Superlative[/li][li]B Jim-Dandy[/li][li]B Swell[/li][li]B Supernal[/li][li]B Superior[/li][li]B Radical[/li][li]B Splendid[/li][li]B Divine[/li][li]B Dope[/li][li]B Sensational[/li][li]B Peachy-Keen[/li][li]B Phat[/li][li]B Unsurpassed[/li][/ul]Obviously, the culture around here can be a "half-a-bubble-off-plumb", but they had fun with it.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

B Excellent to each other
(And... PARTY ON DUDE!)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

B bop? :)

I think "B the best!" would round off the triplet nicely.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

B the best you can B

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

Thanks for the great replies so far. To elaborate more on what's trying to be achieved, the three words chosen in my mind appear to have both a personal (when the 'B' is included) and a company-specific meaning (if the person viewing the logo doesn't associate the 'B').

For example, if you are an employee of the company, then the "B Safe, B Green, B Excellent" are some of the values that they're expected to abide by. However this will be used in marketing output, so it may be the case that the consumer takes those three words as being representative of the company - a company that is safe, green and, er... excellent. It's the excellent one that doesn't sit well with me. From Santa's list, his "B cool" example gives me the same feeling - it's too informal or on the flipside, too motivational or preachy.

CC - the 3rd word is trying to convey the idea of quality workmanship.

It's a little bit like a quiz now - can you come up with one word that conveys a sense of quality, that when used with "B" becomes personal, but when the B is not taken into account it is seen as a representation of the company values?

kwbMitel - "B Innovative" is a great one. Thank you. Santa, can you imagine "B Jim Dandy" or "B Peachy-keen" on an advertising hoarding? [bigsmile]

B Outstanding

B bopalula perhaps ;-)

More seriously I quite like B Inspired.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

[topical] NOT - B arclays [/topical]

Here are some others to consider: first-rate, premier, unsurpassed, ideal, impeccable, flawless,
precise, reliable, unerring, dependable, reputable, irreproachable, genuine, distinguished,
respected, admirable, commendable

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

I know of another company whose logo is a "b" - a small "b", though - Brussels Airlines.
They already do what you are trying to do. Say, their sugar packets marked "b. sweet" (see here: and their plastic cups - "b. cool" ( their in-flight magazine is called "b there" ( They already employ slogan "b. green" (and offer "b. flex" and "b. light" economy programs, and so on.

I thought you may want to know and even check with a lawyer before starting a marketing campaign like that.

Be safe, Be green, Be the leader

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Benchmark", is a way to refer to your quality but not "b the benchmark

And I guess B good is already taken by E.T. :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back