Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP ME! I'M STUCK IN MY CAREER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCatMCS

Programmer
Apr 29, 2004
US

Hello World:

I am a supervisor in a small mainframe shop. I have three people under me. I create reports using Crystal Reports 8.5. (I am certified in Crystal 8.0). I have also done about two years of writing SQL querying against DB2 database. I have done some light Visual Basic programming. On the mainframe side, I'm decent in reading (not writing) JCL, knowing MVS and JES commands, and other computer operator functions. Also, I have been there for 4 1/2 years. My base pay is $21.50 / hr. - but w/in the last three years, I have worked a lot of OT, so in 2001, I grossed $59,000. In 2002, I grossed $58,000. Then in 2003, I grossed $67,000. The reason why I made so much was that I worked my butt off - sometimes 72 hours in a week (I am an hourly employee). Sounds like I got it made...doesn't it?

The truth is, I am a contractor. I work on the premises of a major auto manufacture that outsorced its mainframe operations department out to IBM. In return, IBM sub-contracted a couple of companies and one of them hired me and other people to do mainframe operations.

The sub-contracting company - lets call them xyz - hired me in December of 1999. I started out as a console operator and I did basic mainframe operations work for them, but when I had free time, I wrote some VB code for them and also did a few Crystal Reports for IBM management. A year later I was promoted to Lead Console Operator. By then, there wasn't any Visual Basic projects to do, even if I tried to think of anything. Then in January of 2003, I was promoted to shift Supervisor. So far, things were going pretty good except they hadn't given me a raise in two years ( they did give me a promotional raise though ).

This past winter, my review was exceptional, but again, they didn't give me a raise because of budget reasons (so now, we're talking three straight years w/out a raise). Also, I found out, that I can not go any further up the business ladder. They told me this is as far as a contractor will go (supervisor). Also, my contracting company told me that I am not allowed to jump over to the auto manufacturing company on whose premises that I work on. OK, fine - no big deal - I still have a job. Two weeks ago, my contracting company sent me a letter saying that they will be cutting my pay 5% because of IBM global services cutting 5% to the contracting companies, and my company was not going to eat it - I was.

Oh, it gets better - remember those OT hours that gave me the big checks? No more OT unless you come in and work for someone ( ex. call in sick, vacation, etc. ). On top of this, I deal with a lot of politics and backstabbing that is going on (people are not happy there). Also, I know there will be no raise for the next year...who knows, I could get another 5% cut. I've had enough.

Anyway, here is the deal. I have almost two years of experience as a Supervisor. I have a couple years of Crystal Reports experience and also SQL. I have very light VB skills. I have 12 years of mainframe experience, but I want to get out of mainframe operations.

There have been companies calling me about Crystal Reports Development positions, but they are only three month projects. I am 36 years old w/ a wife and kid to support. There is no way I am going to take those 3 month contracts.

So, where do I go from here? I thought about applying for other supervision positions outside the mainframe operations field, but the chances of getting that type of supervisor position in which I'm completely new to an industry is slim to none. I basically have to find another supervisor position w/in the mainframe operations world - where there I could move over to something else or move up. But mainframe operations is a declining field, plus, a few data centers from where I live (Columbus, Ohio), is moving to India.

If I get a job as a Crystal Reports Developer (as a non-contractor), they do not pay well. Plus, there are only a few Crystal jobs out there in the first place, and if you do find one, you have to know ASP, XML, VB and who knows what else.

I can go the VB route, but it seems like I don't have a lot of time on my hands to study it. If I was 20 years old and w/out a family, that would be a different.

So, again, what the heck should I do? I feel like giving up and staying where I'm at ( hey, at least I have a job ) and do my best for my employer and focus more on my family. But one thing is for sure, I don't have a future where I'm at now.

Thank you for hearing me whine and cry like a big baby. I just need a little direction and/or some advise. Thanks all.

BigCat

North Carolina is a right-to-work state, but many employers still require their employees to sign non-compete agreements. They're hoping that the cost of potential litigation will put off any talent-raiding by competitors, partners, etc.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Well, my first thought is you might want to expand your knowledge base. Do what you have always done; get what you have always got. I can feel your pain on the raise and cut backs, we are all there.

Contracts can definitely work into some better positions or worst case, you made contacts that can help you later. I call friends and co-workers I know all the time with leads I find, as they do for me.

I am working full time and although I have considered looking, the market is pretty bad. I also have a Computer Science degree, over rated but a door opener if you aren’t working.

Good luck

Always refuse to sign ANY non-compete. If they won't hire you if you don't sign it, then you don't want to work there. My wife and I both have refused to sign them and have still gotten the job twice in the past. If the company wants you bad enough, they will quitly throw the unsigned paper in the trash and pretend it never existed! Even large companies will overlook this if you are persistant enough.

I'll jump into this thread a bit late. If you are still in that position and are still wondering what to do...

First, change your attitude about where the ownership of your career rest. You are neither and indentured servant and without any skills. If you supervise/manage projects well, you don't need permission to go out and look for management level positions. They don't have to be management level positions in a shop with the exact platforms you are in now. There is a huge need for decent to good management in technology and elsewhere.

I have a blog on who owns your career, look up "notes from the toolshed"

Second, start getting out and meeting people - business owners, management, etc. Have a 1 page summary of experience - I don't call my a resume - and if needed a longer one that you can give if the interest exist.

The job market is not indicated by job postings. You will find greater opportunity through a direct marketing approach. And yes, you are marketing. You are marketing what I hope you consider a valuable commodity...you!

This is more than lip service or "motivational platitudes." I am convinced that you can create huge opportunity with 200 resumes and a good pair of walking shoes.

I hope this provides some perspective and assistance.

Matthew Moran

Just based on IBM, Columbus, and auto manufacturer I'm pretty sure I know where you are working. If it is my husband works there and he works with a lot of the IBM contractors. They are always having a hard time with the company.

However consulting companies in general just see you as revenue and not a person, so it doesn't really surprise me when their CEO's next $1 million bonus is shrinking a little they start cutting salaries of their revenue generators who really can't afford to lose it.

I've been a consultant since '93.

I believe there is a tremendous need for 'hybrid'
type programmers.
That is, people expert at building Applications
and who also know the business side.

I use Access and am knowledgeable in both Auto Parts
Distribution/Sales, and Drug Distribution/Finance.
The big Drug company pays the bills, the little distrbutors
provide the future opportunity.

Businesses that change rapidly need people to update there systems as rapidly.
Actually any entity can bennefit from the increased productivity todays tools can deliver.

Just one area - HMO's - need systems to keep up with the paperwork! How can they properly service there customers if there systems can't be maintained. It requires people who know HMO's, gov't rules and be expert at programming.

From where I sit, I see little competion for what I do.
Why is that ?

HaroldGE,
I wholly agree with you. Business it just starting to realize the value of individuals who can understand the technical issues as well as the business issues.
Fact: There are many great business people.
Fact: There are many great IT people.
Myth: Any business person can learn to successful apply technology to the business.
Myth: Any IT person can learn to apply business principles to technology.
Fact: There are a limited number of individuals who can successfully translate business to IT and vice versa.

It's like being a language translator who has to know all the slang for the languages they're translating between.

Business Analysts are supposed to serve this purpose, but too often they are an IT associate who likes working with the users.

Pain is stress leaving the body.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Now you are speaking my language. Back in 1998 and then repurposed in 2001, I wrote, Why Technologists Must Learn To Speak Business and The Role of Technology....

Both were published by Power Media Group and received quite a bit of feedback.

They address this same concern. The business analytics side and use of technology is the single biggest deficit of the average technologist.

Your ability to provide value to the business - departmentally or as a whole - will have greater impact on your career than "next hot technology." Or as I have stated at speaking engagements, the "next hot technology is here! It's transcedent and it's never obsolete; it is business acumen and communication skills.

Matthew Moran

So the question then becomes:
Why have more businesses not realized this and started to seek out those individuals?

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Oops, thought of this right after I hit Submit Post.

Is it because the people currently leading IT organizations are IT centric? Therefore they hire IT centric individuals?

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

I believe you are on to something. I think, however, that business is aware of it and are seeking these individuals out but they are not that easy to find. Here is why..

Many I.T. folks take a job in an I.T. department that has clearly defined I.T. roles and I.T. functions. Because of past failures (late '90s and beyond), companies began removing the CIO as a strategic position. This is a well-documented frustration among some CIOs. They have basically been relegated to the virtual basement, receiving change request but not involved in high-level, strategic meetings.

This further exacerbates the problem. In fact, I believe it explains some outsourcing... If you are not receiving solutions and have extreme communication problems inside your own country, why not go outside. You still have the same problem but it cost you less. Meaning, there is a cultural and language barrier for the rank and file technologist inside of the U.S. - I can get the same cultural and language barrier for a 3rd of the cost in another country. It is a harsh reality..

Additionally, I.T. professionals believe their best jobs are found in large corporate I.T. departments. I have another article titled, IT happens outside of IT. In it I recommend that technology professionals take positions at a departmental level or with small companies. I recommend this so that they are more aware of the actual business challenges that technology should be addressing.

In extremely corporate I.T. groups, there is often a hierachy of function that limits growth and exposure. For some reason, I.T. professionals often believe this linear path is the path to career success. It just isn't true.

In any case, there is a good article at EWeek called "Bridging the Gap" that talks about the demand for I.T. professionals with a business analystics focus.

Matthew Moran

mmorancbt said:
In extremely corporate I.T. groups, there is often a hierachy of function that limits growth and exposure. For some reason, I.T. professionals often believe this linear path is the path to career success. It just isn't true.
I used to be one of those. For those of you common to this forum, you know I started in the business. I moved to IT thinking it was the "right career path", only to find out that our IT is the typical tech centric process immobilized group.
Don't take that statement wrong, I believe in process and technology. But when your process becomes so invasive that you can no longer respond quickly enough to be impactful to the business, something has to change. Everything has to be a fully documented and managed project, so the business ends up building a lot of their own solutions for small requests. This in turn creates more work for IT Support, which errantly leads IT Development to believe they need better documentation so the Support group isn't overwhelmed. Meanwhile, the business is no longer getting the development or support it needs from IT. It's a vicious cycle.

I think a truly successful IT department should have controls, standards, and processes for large projects, but needs to set aside resources to respond to smaller requests from the business that can be developed on short timelines with minimal documentation. This "Quick Response Team" would eliminate the need for the business to develop their own solutions. It would give IT the chance to know what's going on in the business, along with the ability to evaluate those requests and decide whether they should be escalated to a full blown project.

Phew, I'm done ranting for a while.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

I think part of the problem is HR, they don't know what are the right skills to look for. I spent 15 years working outside of IT before moving to this career field. For 12 of those years, I was a management analyst studying ways to make organizations more efficient. Yet time after time, I am rated as unqualified when I apply for business analyst positions.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back