Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heard today 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
Hortatory"
adj.
Marked by exhortation or strong urging: a hortatory speech.

Heard or read a new word today?

[thadeus ducks and covers]
And I thought a horatory was a building in the red light district...
[thadeus stays ducked and covered]

<throws something at Thadeus>

So, you listened to an horatory oratory?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

That's hor[red]t[/red]atory!

As Gilda Radner used to say, "Oh, that's very different! Never mind!"

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Nice Stella740pl

A new word, quotidian, which is not a quotidian word.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

mobisode n.

An episode of a television drama series condensed and broadcast to cellular phones.

chrono-synclastic infundibula
I can't find it in a dictionary, but Kurt Vonnegut used it in The Sirens of Titan (1959).
Just imagine that your Daddy is the smartest man who ever lived on Earth, and he knows everything there is to find out, and he is exactly right about everything, and he can prove he is right about everything. Now imagine another little child on some nice world a million light years away, and that little child's Daddy is the smartest man who ever lived on that nice world so far away. And he is just as smart and just as right as your Daddy is. Both Daddies are smart, and both Daddies are right.

Only if they ever met each other they would get into a terrible argument, because they wouldn't agree on anything. Now, you can say that your Daddy is right and the other little child's Daddy is wrong, but the Universe is an awfully big place. There is room enough for an awful lot of people to be right about things and still not agree.

The reason both Daddies can be right and still get into terrible fights is because there are so many different ways of being right. There are places in the Universe, though, where each Daddy could finally catch on to what the other Daddy was talking about. These places are where all the different kinds of truths fit together as nicely as the parts in your Daddy's solar watch. We call these places chronosynclastic infundibula.
Chrono (kroh-no) means time. Synclastic (sin-classtick) means curved toward the same side in all directions, like the skin of an orange. Infundibulum (infun-dib-u-lum) is what the ancient Romans like Julius Caesar and Nero called a funnel. If you don't know what a funnel is, get Mommy to show you one.
When people in these forums agree to disagree, we could still send them to a chronosynclastic infundibulum ;-)

Infundibula is the plural of infundibulum, which is a general anatomical word for something that is shaped like a funnel. You may not find in normal dictionaries, but I would be surprised if you could not find it in a medical dictionary.

Good Luck
--------------

trisexual adj. Pertaining to having sex with males, females, and one's self.

metrosexual n. An urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.

I like the definition of trisexual from Cheech and Chong's The Corsican Brothers:

movie said:
[ul][li]Louis Corsican: That's the famous Marquis du Hickey: legendary lover--makes Casanova look like a school boy. He's a trisexual.[/li]
[li]Lucian Corsican: Trisexual?[/li]
[li]Louis Corsican: Yeah, he'll try anything, mud, chickens, anything.[/li][/ul]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

This definition is from the Wikipedia:

Trisexual (sometimes trysexual) is either an extension of, or a pun on bisexual. In its more serious usage, it indicates an interest in transgender persons as well as men and women. In its more humorous usage, it refers to someone who will try any sexual experience.
Looks like the word is not clearly defined yet, the meaning varies depending on where you live, Europe or America.

Ah, a nice tie-in between two threads...

From her dissenting opinion in the land-grab case of Kelo v. New London:

Sandra Day O'Connor said:
"Where is the line between 'public' and 'private' property use? [If it were left to the politcal branches to fix the line, the clause] "would amount to little more than [blue]hortatory[/blue] fluff."

Tim

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

Defenenstrate- a throwing of a person or thing out of a window

as in the defenenstration of prague where a priest was thrown out of a window, my history is not the best so correct me if im wrong.

either way, funny word!

Steve Budzynski

That one is easy for me to remember. The German word for window is "Fenster". Obviously there is a common root there somewhere.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

==> Obviously there is a common root there somewhere.

Yes indeed, it is Latin de (away, from, or out) plus Latin fenestra (window)

Good Luck
--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back