Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got back to ip office 500v2 parnter mode. Just double checking a vcm card needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPM86

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2023
US
I finally got back to my ip office 500v2 partner version. As another user calls it. Muppet mode. Anyway I got farther along with instead of call rejected.
Incompatible. Ah, well okay interesting. So I decided since I was taking a fresh look. I believe I need a vcm card. Okay no problem. I have 2 of them.
So I moved the VCM card over and got a red light. Ah, it does not like this card. (Yes I know the card is good. Works fine in my other system.) So
I refreshed myself on VCM cards. Only to find out this version need Ip office 8.1 and to my horror. I thought I had 8.1 on my system. But I have 8.x.
Thus, it will not recognize the card. So it looks like this project is dead. Even though all the software configuration is in place for it and I can
have 3 sip lines. It will do me no good unless I either upgrade the version to 8.1 or fin a older ip office 500 vcm card.

If somebody could please double check me on this. I would appreciate it. Then I can decide what to do next. Luckily this in a home lab. Also
this is why I leave the phone systems to phone guys when one of my clients ask about Phone systems in general.

This is what confuses me: (per Avaya Help.)
Note that for SIP calls the system also requires VCM channels. For a Basic Edition system those are provided by installing IP500 Combination base cards. Each of these cards provides 10 VCM channels. Is the base card just a etr or ds card? I have plenty of those.

Thank You,

josh

A combo card is a base card with a daughter card installed on it.
This base card has 8 DS ports ,2 analogue ports, 10 VCM channels.and provision for 4 lines depending on daughter card set up.
The daughter board is either ,analogue lines,Isdn lines or PRI lines depending on the combo card purchased.

These cards come completed with daughter card and the card should not be swapped with another daughter board….

Partner mode does not support the VCM cards, you need to use, as snowman50 and the Avaya docs are saying, a Combo card.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Ah okay thank you for the help. Thanks for the heads up on not removing combo card boards. The modules I collected came from other systems and thus, I have way to many atm 4 u cards.

I was able to find one combo board that matched the part number for the included 10 voip channels. Though it is kind of stupid. I'm using it in the partner mode and don't need
2 phone ports for it. But, that is the combo card I have.

I'll post all the information on if I get this silly project to work.

Thanks,

Josh

Well that was the key. Silly little combo card. No combo card gets a REJECTED on the partner phone. So the low down.

WARNING: Even though this has usernames and passwords. This in no way should be considered secure. I'm not a security expert in phone systems. As noted this is on my home lab.

Issabel PBX running in a virtual machine <---> switch <------> ip office 500v2 8.x partner edition.

Setup Issabel with a standard sip extension. Make sure things like Dtmfmode matched. (I used the standard RFC 2823).
In fact the same simple config I used for a voip phone extension.

Now the ip office 500v2. (Avaya has a good article on this to.)
* I did not need to have the stun server enabled. Probably because I'm on the same network.
* System is in key mode.
1. Voice and remove check mark from hide admin tasks.
2. Go to trunks and sip trunk administration.
3 fill out sip trunk setup. I used 1 channel (you can have up to three without adding a license) and the domain name is the voip trunk service. (I used the ip)
4. fill out sip trunk channel setup. I filled in local uri with the number of the extension. Though recommended. I didn't assign it a Coverage Destination.
I did use registration required. I left p-assert-id blank.
5. In order to not assign a line button. I removed all cards except 1 etr card with a 4 atm ports. Then the combo card with 6 ds ports on it/4 atm ports.
This allowed me to set the lines under system setup to 9. If you have a ETR 18D phone. You have plenty of buttons on it. To cover all 5 lines.

Thanks,

Josh

Final update with Cisco router ISR 4331. *I have some extra cards in my router. I don't now if they are needed to any of this. I do now I needed to enable
additional licenses for dial command to show up.
The partner config is the same as above but no user name or password. (I did not figure that out in the Cisco how to set it up.)
Leave the username / password blank on the
So the Cisco config:

voice service voip
allow-connections sip to sip
fax protocol t38 version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback none -- This is probably not needed since I'm not doing fax.
sip
bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0

dial-peer voice 15 voip (In all I created 3 dial pear for the 3 sip channels.)
destination-pattern 5555555 --- phone number
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:0.0.0.0 --- ip number of ip office
* Domain name for sip trunk is your cisco router.
* Under sip trunk channel setup I have registration required check marked. <--- don't know if that is required.

Now for another update from a thread closed a while ago. T1 from CISCO to IP office standard with Essential edition license installed.
Note: This is for T1 and not PRI (That is my next playing around with. Since it support more features like caller ID and is default on ip office.)
* Hardware is as stated above. Cisco ISR 4331, T1 cross over cable and VCM32/PRIS U module installed.
Note: Without any additional licenses. You are limited to 8 channels.

IP office config:
I selected Line SubType T1.
I then matched all the framing, Zero Suppression, Line Signaling to the router.
Clock Quality is change to network. The Cisco is proving the Clock.
Then under advanced I Left most of that the same. (I cannot remember if I changed anything.)
Type Direct inward Dial, DTMF dial, and Wink-Start for incoming and outgoing.
* I did disable the rest of the channels under advanced. Just since I don't have a license for them.

Cisco Config:

controller T1 0/1/1 <---- This changes depending on what place your T1 card is located in the router.
framing esf
linecode b8zs
cablelength long 0db
clock source internal
ds0-group 0 timeslots 1-8 type e&m-wink-start <--- I did One - Eight due to how many I can suppotrt)

dial-peer voice 13 pots (I setup 8 dial-peers')
destination-pattern 5553007 <---- Whatever number you want
direct-inward-dial
port 0/1/1:0
forward-digits all <--- This was important. If I did not foward the digits. You get a Second dial tone waiting for numbers to be passed.)
prefix 555 <----- This is important. When calling from other phones or sip trunks. It would not go through until I added this.)

One more thing is this does not do caller id. The phone system just show EXTERNAL when the call is coming in.

I hope this helps for anybody who needs it.

Thanks,

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back