Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going from GATM4 to GATM8

Status
Not open for further replies.

leardininwc

Vendor
Apr 2, 2004
US
Hi guys, do I need any licenses when replacing a GATM4 with a GATM8? Will that give me 4 additional analog trunks? Reason I'm asking is that every supplier I call gives me different answers.

Thank you in advance...

No, you don't need Licenses if all you're doing is swapping out a module. Those modules plug into expansion cabinets which are automatically licensed via the expansion license.

You will have to chamge the module type in the Resources though. Document what programming you have on the lines now just in case it defaults the settings on you, depending on the release. Otherwise you should have no problems.

And yes, you will get 4 more trunk channels.

Thank you telcodog.
So if the system has 2 ACTIVE EXPANSION PORTS and I go from GATM4 to GATM8 on the existing cabinet I can still add a second cabinet with a 8x16 module? That will give me 20-analog trunks and 28-stations since the main unit is 4x12? Am I correct?

There are several module combinations you can use. I'm not clear on exactly what you have right now based on your last post but you are correct in that you can have 2 expansion cabinets on the BCM50 but they are both licensed separately so to be able to use that second expansion port you will require 2 expansion licenses.

As for modules, you can add an 8X16 and with what you have (or will have shortly) you will have the capacity for 20 analog trunks and 28 digital stations but remember, all those ports on the 50 main unit are activated via licenses as well. You could also add a DSM32+ and you would have capacity for 12 analog trunks and 44 digital stations. If you opt for an 8X16 instead of the GATM8 you get even more digital set capacity.

And on top of all that, you can still ad 32 IP sets via licensing as well.

You didn't specify what release your system is but be advised that licenses from Avaya are only available on release 6 systems. You might find licenses for earlier release on the internet somewhere but it will be a hit and miss.

When I go in the Element Manager/System/Keycodes for EXP PORTS I see 2 ACTIVE. I guess what I don't understand is if I connect a G8x16 will I still need licenses for 16 digital extensions?...or the fact that I have 2 ACTIVE EXP PORTS means I can connect a GATM8 or G8x16 or both without buying licenses.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back