Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLASHfreak1021

Programmer
Dec 11, 2003
US
Hey Everyone!
I am an intermediate software programmer, knowing some C++, VB, and advanced at Actionscript (Macromedia Flash). But, I was wondering, how does an operating system work? Since Linux is free, and open-source, I was thinking this would be perfect. Before jumping right into it, and ruining my (expensive) 2.6Ghz, 120gb, Win XP Pro, with 64mb Video Memory and 512 RAM, just bought computer, that I should know some infomation on Linux before I really start. I heard that some of the drives (like the modem and CD drives) are specially configured for Windows, and they can't operate with Linux. Is that statment true? Also, can I have Windows and Linux on the same system? Because I also heard that Linux may "re-partition" your hard drive, which I would really enjoy looking at while installing linux... Well, give me some links or something! Thanks!

I think you are going about things the right way. What you want to do is setup a dual boot system. A dual boot systems will prompt you when it powers on for which OS to boot. To do this, you will need to make room for linux on your hard drive. I thin 20GB aught to be plenty for just messin' around. If your drive is all on one partition, I imagine you'll want to resize it without destroying any existing data. In the not too distant past there was a free little dos utilitiy that would do this for you. It was called fips.exe. I'm not sure if it can deal with ntfs file systems though. If by some strange fate, you happen to have vfat, then you are in like flint. If the gods are not with you, you'll have to purchase a tool such as Partition Magic or something. If I have not scared you off, then go shopping for a linux distro. Some good ones are Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake, Debien and Slackware. You can down load the .iso files then burn them to cd. The first cd will be bootable. Use it to boot into the linux installer program. Most of them walk you through the setup. When it comes to partitioning the linux partitions, let the installer do it for you. Just tell it to use the partiton you created earlier. Accept the default partitions (there should be 3, /swap, /boot and / ). You will be asked what boot loader to use, lilo or grub. Close your eyse a pick one. When asked where to install it, select MBR. After the install, you will have an honest to goodness real liove linux system installed. Mess around with it and play hard. When ya break something, bring it back here and we'll help ya fix it. That's how ya learn. And if ya get homesick for Windows, it's just a few keystrokes away. You will always have the option later to get rid of linux or more than likely Windoze.

I also like to point new users to the live CD option. "Knoppix" seems to work well enough for me. You can download it via links at . Burn the iso, boot from the CD, and you can try Linux out without having to do any installation. Just another option :)

----
JBR

Okay, I didn't want to start a new thread, so I am going to ask it here. About how much disk space will Linux Take up? Is it like windows, and take up 1.8GB? I am going to install Linux on an older system and need to know how much space to clear. Thanks!

FLASHfreak :)
- The Flash Experience

That depends on what packages you install. The kernel will fit on a floppy but ALL the packages will take up about 6GB. There are also different types of installs such as server, work station or custom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back