Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Handover to Unwanted Projects 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoom1234

Programmer
Oct 30, 2003
BE
Hi,

I work as a Software Programmer having four years of IT experience. My areas of Interests are SUN technologies.

Now one person who work as a consultant(Who is not employee of our company, but that of a third party vendor) is leaving in two three days. The projects he has been working in our company since last 6-7 Months or so, are on ASP and ASP.NET.

Now since i had no major work in last month, The Mangement had decided that the projects should be handed over to me.

I dont have interest and strong work experince on Microsoft techologies.The company is not ready to hire another Microsoft Professional.Also currently i am working on some other project on JSP.
I am confused as what should be my stand on this issue, as somehow i am getting a feeling as they are making a scapegoat out of me.

Pls can you share any thoughts with me.

Zoom1234

You have been presented with a greaat opportunity. Sure, you have a bit of hard work ahead of you but consider the outcome...
- You will be the internal subject matter expert afterwards
- It would be appropriate to ask for training on ASP, say a week long course - you may not get it, but your should ask for it. If you are allowed to take the training, then training for free.
- You will have more skills to add to your resumé.
- Hmmm, when you have your next performance review, you have ammo to ask for some more cash.

In reality, many of us in IT have been asked to assume more responsibilities beyond what we received formal training on.

Consider the perspective from your employer - just about any IT company is trying to make ends meet with a limited budget.

eb24 said:
On a different note, who the heck is overseeing these software projects? Don't you guys have an IT Director/Manager? I don't understand why you guys would develop in two different paradigms, i.e. Java/.NET.
In a large organization, it's very likely to be using all sorts of different stuff. A power company near me is roughly 40% mainframe, 40% Java, 15% .NET, and 5% "Other".

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back