Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get BS in CS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebLazer

Programmer
Jun 7, 2002
US
I took 6 semesters of regular college courses in programming at a local (respectable) university. After 7 months of looking for a job, I now have a good job programming in Java working on an impressive project in the biotech sector. Other than that, though, and a bachelor’s degree *equivalent* from a religious seminary, I have no degree.

Assuming for a moment that I will continue in my job and be able to find another if I would desire, how great is the benefit of me going back to school to get a BS in CS? I am 29 years old, married, and have 3 kids. School would be really very hard.

Do I need a degree or will a few years of good experience be just as valuable?

Thanks!
Lazer

A degree is never a bad thing. A degree and experience is better than just experience or just a degree. I say get the degree but do it slow. Like a class at a time. This way you can go to school and still have a family life. AJ
I would lose my head if it wasn't attached. [roll1]

I have been in the computer field for almost ten years and have *JUST* finished earning my BSCS. I also am married, 3 children (11,4,4) and work full-time. I have been watching the job market to stay in touch and my opinion is that as more individuals apply for the same position, prospective employers will use the lack of a degree as a disqualifier.

I don't expect my degree to make a difference in my current position(programmer/systems analyst) but I DO expect it to make a difference when I eventually look to move on.

So, I would recommend that if you have spousal support at home, go for the degree.

I also agree that investing in yourself to complete the degree would be a good thing. The market is become more and more competitive every day, and the degree will give you a leg up. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Hit return key prematurely - Not only that, but as you get into the junior and senior level courses, you get exposed to more and more theory and concepts, and can gain a much better understanding of why things work the way they do. That understanding, and with your experience, the ability to apply those concepts in the workplace will also be quite beneficial. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back