Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Five Things to Do this Weekend to improve your career next week. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoaferMan

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
Check out the FAQ on "Five things to Do this Weekend to improve your career Next Week".

I wrote them awhile back, but have received no feedback.

Has anyone tried them? Would anyone like to? Let me know what you think. Thanks LoaferMan - There is no practice life. This is it. (Billy Crockett)

So you're saying it's all about appearance, not substance??? I disagree. - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

I would certainly agree that appearance isn't everything but I don't think that's what LoaferMan's trying to say.

Performance and ability aren't everything either. The recent economic slowdown combined with the dot-com meltdown has allowed the tech industry to mature a little. There's no longer such a dearth of talent that a company has to hire anyone who walks in the door with any kind of technical skills.

Technical skills are only part of the equation. Why do you think all the trade journals are harping so hard about how techies need to learn "soft" skills like people relations and communications?

A modern business is a community and everyone who works there needs to be able to function as an interactive, contributing member of the community as well as simply being technically competent. Everyone needs to be able to think in terms of "how can I help the business?" instead of simply "how can I do my job better?" In other words, modern businesses are once again looking for "professionals".

We all gather first impressions and make ongoing conscious or subconscious judgements about others based on their behavior and appearance. In the modern climate, managers are looking for professionals that can help the business to the max. not just in some narrow niche. It may not be legal for them to officially discriminate based on appearance but an unconscious preference will certainly be there.

This means the we, as tech professionals, can certainly help ourselves by carrying ourselves and presenting ourselves as mature professionals.

Who's going to get farther in a mature company: a nicely dressed, team-oriented programmer who not only writes clean, well-documented code but can also but can also make a presentation to the executive committe on how that code streamlines business process xxx and saves $x per year, or a whacked out grunge freak that likes to sit alone in their cube all night long "writing kick-ass code, dude..." and spend their days riding a unicycle up and down the halls while juggling flaming tennis balls and yodeling.

This doesn't mean we can't be loose and have some fun, but we certainly need to show some awareness of the world as a whole and fit into the community outside our specialties.

It's all about balance - substance is certainly important, but so is presentation.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Here something from my novice experience.

My former company tried two approaches. At first they had tech who had the skills by NO people skills. In their very laid back environment, it was really needed. Then they hired a bunch of people who didnt know anything but were warm and fuzzy. The evaluations from staff were VERY low using this stragegies. Then they hired folks that had the skills both technical and people, and their evalusations shot way up. I was in the last batch of people hired.

It takes a mix.

Exactly. For 20 years or more techies have thought they could get by on technical competency alone. In a purely technical environment that might cut it, but it rarely does any more in any real world business. This is what all the trade rags are practically singing as a choir about and it's what (I think) LoaferMan is getting at.

Obviously you still need to be technically qualified, but you should make an effort to look the part as well.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Let me ask you something...

What do you put on something mechanical if it is a bit rusty and needs some grease or you need to loosen a nut?

What do you think would be a good lubricant to use on a bike kickstand or gear?

What would you buy at your friendly hardware store to solve the above problems?

...Probably the same thing I would: WD40.

Did you know that WD40 actually attracts moisture to the parts you spray it on? It is actually a poor quality lubricant. In fact, the company that makes WD40 has developed many superior substances. The problem is, our perception of WD40 as the wonder substance is so strong that we would not purchase a new improved substance. In this case, perception is not stronger than reality, it is reality. The substance (like CLASSIC COKE) is inferior to what could be, but the way we think, feel, and perform shows that we are following a vision rather than a physical reality.

I believe that technical people actually can have the upper hand when it comes to reality, but they need to understand where decision makers are coming from. Decision makers do not always have the ability to see the same reality. Therefore it is important to extrapolate your ability into something they can understand.

I call it the "Cake" and "Frosting" combination.

Technical people think that "Cake" is what is really important. They (and I myself have done this) think that sales, marketing, and business development is all about "Frosting", but not about "Cake". What I am trying to convey is, that if you can take a tech with "Cake" and add great perception of them ("Frosting"), you will end up with a "Cake" that people will eat. (Higher pay, better work, better treatment, appreciation, etc.)

I am interested to see what happens when you try the Five Things I have mentioned. I have done them myself and have recorded the results. I would like to know what happens when others do them. Observe others in your workplace. You may have to be brave. You may have to be somebody you are not used to being. You may think that wearing Loafers is for sissies. Even so, please use the Scientific Method to identify the short term effects of perception on your career. After we get your results we can share them and get a statistically significant data set. Then we can really have some fun. LoaferMan - There is no practice life. This is it. (Billy Crockett)

I'm not saying that I disagreed with the items that you listed - just the idea that this was all frosting and no cake. Add a sixth item - "Read a book to improve a skill" to the list and we're good to go...

Great thread - :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Loaferman,

Loved you FAQ. YOu forgot the money for the baby-sitter in #4 but otherwise yes I agree. Maybe even add in #6, get a good "non-work" book and enjoy it for the weekend.

Also for the married types, better add #7 - Repaet step #4 over and over....LOL "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Mike
MCSE

"I leave all my problems at work.....I have another complete set at home."

:cool:

In the spirit of tassled loafers, I did a search and found this poem on-line. The poem is curtesy of NIGEL BURWOOD:

DIVINE LOAFERS

I am ecstatic about these new loafers
With their ginchy tassles.
I had thought they were a loser's shoe,
The domain of lesser men,
Gladhanders,
Inglorious posers
(And not mute ones)
Afternoon men,
Flanneled fools,
Trousered apes.
Just a mo,
The mot juste is
Naff.
Terminally naff.
And so I had thought
Until I wore them
These enchanted tassled loafers.
But all is changed
Girls love them
Women too.
It could become a problem.
Children, dogs, cats, mice
Even fish adore them,
Their terrible beauty.
These magical, mystical
Divine loafers
Only $16.99 at Ross.

LoaferMan,

I enjoyed your FAQ, as far as it went. In the interest of improving yourself in terms of "valuing diversity" ;-) would you be interested in rewriting the FAQ to appeal to a wider audience? You may not have personal experience with how to do this, but with approximately 52% of the population being female plus all the singles, married without children, gays, disabled, etc., you might find it a useful professional development exercise.

Elizabeth,
My sentiments exactly! Account for the females, the singles, the kidless ...

LoaferMan,
Interesting piece.
It's rather one-sided though. In the work/life balance, it's skewed more towards life. But if u're one of those who's almost be buried alive by the 'work' side, then it's just the recommendation u need.

I believe skill's not the only factor that comes into play when you're climbing the career ladder. Attitude plays a major role as well. It's important to set time aside for yourself, doing things for YOU, so you can acquire that right attitude - the one that makes your colleagues (and take note: supervisors) wonder why you find every mundane, repetitive or arduous task exciting. It's an attitude that makes you more promotable (where there are several contenders and you've all got the skills).

Note: you still need to acquire skills, you need to develop a reputation for doing work right and delivering on time etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back