Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finding automatic procedure ran on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

warby1212

Programmer
Jun 9, 2003
AU
HI, I'm an DB application programmer in an IT dept and every few weeks I come to work and some of the registry values are overwritten, restricting various bits like the wallpaper etc. It drives me crazy ! I can't find how it is being initialised. The Operations people say it's not them. I'm thinking a pre-programmed task is running and doing it somehow but I can't find it. My question is, as Windows starts, at what point does it look for any outside configurations, scripts etc and where might they be hiding? It's not a "Scheduled Task". There must be something that writes to the registry or downloads from the network. Any ideas?

Cheers Stephen

I should write something here.

Ps. It's definitely not being done by an overt Group Policy action. :(

Starup scripts can be hidden here, and can be run on the local PC or networked computer:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\Scripts
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts

Thanks Frank4d, I've had a good look on my local computer in those spots and the clues they give but no luck as yet :(

Cheers Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back