Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elevator Phone Cannot Receive Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

abartolino

Technical User
Apr 4, 2008
US
I have an Avaya IP Office phone system. In our elevators we have an emergency phone used to contact our seceurity desk from the car and used to contact the car from the security desk. I am unable to call and connect to the car from the security desk. I can call from the car to the security desk OK. We did recently switch phone systems from a Nortel Option 11c to the Avaya IP Office system. Can anyone tell me why I'm unable to dial and connect to the car (elevator) from the security desk?

Plug a normal handset in to the port you are using for the elevator phone and then ring it, does it work? Also bear in mind you will need to have used a Master line adaptor or Line Jack to get the handset to ring anyway (if analogue) :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

I did test with an analog phone and I am able to make and receive calls just fine. I just can't receive a call on the elevator phone. What's a master line adapter?

It's the hole in the wall you plug a handset into, or if using Cat5 it's the adaptor you plug into, they contain a capacitor that pushes the A/C ringing voltage to the correct pin on the line cord. Some analogue handset come with them fitted but many need adaptors/master line jacks to work :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

I would also check the type of elevator phone fitted, then check with the manufacturer for compatablity and installation rerquirements :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

The cabling is good. No need for the adapter. The manufacturer is out of business so I cannot contact support.

It has nothing to do with the quality of cabling, if it is an analogue device then it needs a capacitor to ring (at least in the UK), if it's not fitted to it then it needs to be fitted inline somewhere. As I say tthis is the case in the UK, not entirely sure how the US do it TBH :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

Well I found out that the elevator phone requires 60V for the auto answer to work. The IP Office only puts out 40V. I'm looking for a voltage converter or something like that to get this to work. If thats not an option I'll have to look into new phones or go with 1MB lines.

60V is a lot.

But you could try the Viking TBB-1A;

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

I'll check out the Viking TBB-1A and get back to you.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back