Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL freezes for 1min at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

IneedHLP

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
US
When i start win xp, everything works exept: if i go to start-connect to, it freezes the start menu and i cannot log onto the internet until finaly it unfreezes and everything works fine. I tried making a shortcut on my desctop to my earthlink dsl, but it still froze when i clicked on it.

Plz hlp me with this, it is very annoying

Have a look in Event Viewer under both Applications and System. You maybe able to discover what if any program is "hanging".

i tried already. It is hard to keep track of what is hanging. when it freezes there are 18 proceses running, and when it unfreezes there is 22.

Please disregard this if you have done it already, but are you right clicking on listed error in event log to get further details and name of hanging program.

I had the same problem and found this post on another sight and now i cna get on my dsl connection as soon as the window screen appears
hope this helps jj

Name: Y2K1
Date: November 26, 2001 at 04:39:50 Pacific
Subject: *****Solution to slow boot times*****

Comment:
here is the solution to all slow booting times. and no it is not using bootvis at all!
i am using norton 2002 and it does not slow my system down at all.. 40sec boot time is not bad considering to type in the logon password...

give the solution a go and see what happens.

To disable unneeded startup services for a safer, faster XP, use the "Services" Admin Tool (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services). If you are a single user of a non-networked machine, you can disable the following items, with no ill effect.

Alerter
Clipbook
Computer Browser
Fast User Switching
Human Interface Access Devices
Indexing Service (Slows the hard drive down)
Messenger
Net Logon (unnecessary unless networked on a Domain)
Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (disabled for extra security)
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (disabled for extra security)
Remote Procedure Call Locator
Remote Registry (disabled for extra security)
Routing & Remote Access (disabled for extra security)
Server
SSDP Discovery Service (this is for the utterly pointless "Universal P'n'P", & leaves TCP Port 5000 wide open)
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telnet (disabled for extra security)
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Upload Manager
Windows Time
Wireless Zero Configuration (for wireless networks)
Workstation

i have disabled all the above and my pc is flying....

and no it does not effect the internet access at all..

Y2K1

thanks a lot jj, ur the best ... finally something worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back