Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwise2112

MIS
May 26, 2002
CA
I've trying to solve this problem for another user.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000001)

The system is a Celeron 1300 with 128MB of RAM & 40 GB HDD. The problem happens infrequently, but always online when opening certain websites. The OS has been completely reinstalled, but the problem continues. Windows Updates have been done, but did not help.

Most indications are that it is a driver problem, but how can I narrow down or identify the problem driver with no file or driver name info in the error?

Any help would be appreciated.

can someone please have a quick check to see what their Driver Verifier Manager has under the “driver status” tab and “settings” tab for me please?"

There are too many options and settings in the Driver Verifier Manager to be able to really help or compare results that easily.

How to Use Driver Verifier to Troubleshoot Device Drivers in Windows 2000

A Partial List of Driver Error Codes That the Driver Verifier Tool Uses to Report Problems

This tool might make more sense.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

As for ZoneAlarm and Normans AV, neither of which I am too familiar with , I just meant for you to make sure they are not both running virus scanners at the same time. I had heard that the new ZoneAlarm was moving into scanning for virus infection, I have also seen that there has been a lot
of teething problems with the new ZoneAlarm.

Try the ZoneAlarm forum for more information.

toon nut,
if you are having problems with sound or something i would go to start>run>services.msc
and check the list and make sure that all services are not disabled if so you should locate someone that would be able to give a clean copy of the services to activate.i have ran across a problem like this before and was the services that was at fault.another thing u from TN also...

Hmm, now I'm really confused, aspirin anyone?

Right, I’ve had a look, there’s 77 “things” in there?

All but two are disabled, the rest are either running at the moment or are manual, which I assume would become active when called for?

The two disabled are;

[COLOR=red yellow]1. “Messenger - Sends and receives messages transmitted by administrators or by the Alerter service.” Which has two dependencies, Remote procedure call [RPC] and Workstation.
2. “Routing and Remote Access - Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area network environments.” Which has two dependencies, Net Bios group and Remote procedure call [RPC][/color]

Is there any way I can make a copy of this list in full and would it be of any help to anyone?

Cheers

TN

that is normal as long as those are the ones disabled. if u dont have any sound then it must be a driver issue.if u have a sound card and u also have integrated sound remove the sound card card and then install the drivers for the onboard sound.if you dont and u only have onboard sound then mother board is toast or you can try to buy a card to get past it.

Bloody hell, that was quick!!

Don't you stop for a tea break?!!!

I'll give that a try tomorrow, let you know how I get on.

Cheers again

TN

The links between Sound Drivers and trouble with SpyBot S+D and Disk Cleanup is a bit of a mystery but I suppose anything is possible.

Did you ever check your RAM with the memory testing programs, let them run for a couple of hours and see if you get any errors?

Let's hope it's not a new motherboard anyway.

toon nut
well the 0xd1 is mainly a driver issue.but the problem is somewhere within the software if one program executes the music program but the other doesnt then i would like towards reinstalling the program not the driver.if the driver was at fault then their would not be any kind of sound coming from your system.let's keep it simple then we'll work toward the unexplainable.

Alright chaps,

Right, I know this goes against the whole grain of things and doesn't bode well with all you lot in the know, but...........................I've decided to call it a day and.............. get someone in to fix it!!

Yep, I know, I know - I'M DOING WHAT!!!!????

But seriously folks, it's driving me up the bloody wall .To be honest I don't know what I'm doing and apart from everything else it's just taking up literally weeks of my time [and yours which I'm thankful for by the way] that I just don't have.

Thanks for all the advice/tips/recommendations etc, etc, you’s have been spot on.

Cheers

TN [log's off and go's to find yellow pages and friendly bank manager]

toon nut,

well that is your personal opinion but they are probably going to charge to reinstall the OS and then after they do the OS and they'll probably wont get the error message and charge you about 200 just to reinstall 2000 when you could have done that yourself for free.

In trying a new, clean XP PRO install, the problem was for me (after researching this thread) that my memory stick was in the wrong slot (3 slots available), I discoverd this solution after hours, hours, hours.......of other failed attempts mobo-MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR. .....good luck

FWIW.. Ive just installed XP SP2 and my wifes laptop is showing the same error and then constantly reboots, safemode doesnt work, nor does last good configuration

"Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

After Installing SP2, Uh-Oh Reboot,Reboot,Reboot
thread779-906754

These articles will show you how to use the Recovery Console to remove SP2.

This seems to be one update where you really should take the advice offered about backing up your system before installing the Service Pack.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

875355 - How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

329015 - How to Manually Remove Windows XP Service Pack 1

878454 - How to help protect your computer if you decide to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2

My computer restarts whenever i play a 3D game[sadeyes].Please assist

AMD Athlon 1300
NVIDIA Geforce Mx 4000
256 mb
37.2 gb hdd

Most games crash when they're missing the latest XP patches or drivers obtainable from the manufacturers site.

I assume your error is an IRQ one? If not to get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Run the DxDiag command from the Start Run box for further clues. Make sure DirectX and Windows are up to date too.

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

263039 - Games: How to Troubleshoot Display Issues

Support Center Games

Support Center DirectX (Home User)

Try the games troubleshooter at this site.

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with your games.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched. That would not be a problem if you took the opportunity to install SP2 at the same time.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I have been having the same problem with my system, including all of the blue screen errors described above at various time (Windows XP , SP1 or 2).

New RAM didn't work (still got Lrand errors on memory diag and all the same crashes). In this case a new mother board has fixed it.

Had this problem as well - actually a couple of different error message BSD's - turned out it was my AMD processor - may have overheated. Moral to this story appears to be that these error messages can come from any number of sources...

I get the same type of bluescreens all the time, but only after I've installed the drivers. I have formatted C: many times, and before I install the additional drivers in Device Manager, the PC works perfectly allright.
However, after installing these drivers, I get the message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL then something about usbuhci.sys

and sometimes also:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Now, I've read all threads in this forum, and tried everything in my power to find out what might be causing this error. I have flashed the BIOS and installed the newest up-to-date version, I have updated all drivers, I have even bought a new motherboard and new memory.
When nothing of this seems to resolve the problem, and I have tested everything but the CPU, i believe this is software related (not hardware), or rather driver-related.

Now here comes the weird part: When I use a network cable and my ethernet card to connect to the internet, everything is working if I unplug the Wireless USB LAN Adapter. I don't have anymore USB hardware attached to the computer, so I do not know whether it's the USB adapter or the USB ports on my motherboard causing this.

Could anyone please come up with a solution? I have tried all my friends, the retailer, the manufacturer and no one knows how to fix this, but I have a feeling it's the USB drivers or the USB Adapter drivers.

Hi

SP2 specifically makes a lot of changes to USB drivers and the way they work - as you can see from the fixes on SP2 here - Most companies are releasing SP2 updates for their device drivers however...

Weirder and weirder is that the BAD_POOL_CALLER error and some other errors can be stopped by unticking Asian Languages in Control Panel / Regional & Language Options / Languages. It's fixed some of our problems - as long as you don't actually need Asian Languages!

Holmen69,

What USB wireless adapter are you using. And what revision level of the driver set are you trying to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back