Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwise2112

MIS
May 26, 2002
CA
I've trying to solve this problem for another user.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000001)

The system is a Celeron 1300 with 128MB of RAM & 40 GB HDD. The problem happens infrequently, but always online when opening certain websites. The OS has been completely reinstalled, but the problem continues. Windows Updates have been done, but did not help.

Most indications are that it is a driver problem, but how can I narrow down or identify the problem driver with no file or driver name info in the error?

Any help would be appreciated.

i've had this stop message too and it just gets prog. worse. Now its blue screen w/ "...oflessorequal..." PLUS "msconfignot working" or something. I used to get some time before the beast powered off ( no shut down) but now it won't even boot up. i just got DSL (I happened to do what everybody here has been recommending-dissconnecting ethernet card, uninstalling DSL software (and P-to-P progs) etc.,) and It has done nothing.
It only gets worse! Any advice???
Thanks
PS. When I enter safe mode It lists every driver in my system-or what seems like it-and then shuts down. Also would Sys. Restore do anything and would I be able to keep files downloaded since the problem began?

wadd2,

You could try using the "Last Known Good Configuration" option from Safe Mode entry screen.

If you can't enter Safe Mode or Normal Mode then System Restore is unavailable to you.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

With all the other problems you seem to have you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Exact error messages are helpful if you can remember them.

thanks...
i'm going to print out that link-I'll tell you if it works(or not).
also, i have a few more details as you requested. for one, the bsod now starts w/"...shut down because of potential damage to your comp...Msconfig.??? has failed...please restart w/f8(etc.,)...". i'll give you the exact id.'s next time, if you like 0's,
thanks,

I like all the "0's" you can get if they are displayed in the BSOD (not full memory dumps etc), searching for "......" is frustrating, or is that f.........g.

I wonder what it is saying about MsConfig too?

I went into Safe mode with network and went to the site that gives me blue screen"Northgate Keyboard Repair" I did not get blue screen,but I did get program not responding?
Hummm

Tomking,

Loads OK here.

See how it goes (in Safe Mode) if you clean out your Temporary Internet Files?

You may have to do some detective work to eliminate what is causing your problems in Normal Mode.

As per this thread.

Menues cause CPU spikes.
thread779-826991

Internet Explorer May Appear to Stop Responding When Requesting Many Objects

Windows temp purged. Friend has same board, memory etc. So Monday I will hire a desktop XP certified technician so I can find out what this strange excursion might be.
Thanks

Linney,
Changed the AGP card and just loaded vga drivers,and got the same result at the mentioned site. In safe mode I do not get the BSOD,but I do get program not responding when I go to the site Northgate Keyboard repair. By passed the onboard LAN and placed a pci generic 100/110 card with different drivers same thing. STill looking.
Thanks for the help.

DontKnowWhatHandleIs,

What were you able to do to fix it? What may you have done to cause the problem to return? Is it a problem with just 1 game (refresh my memory, this thread is getting a bit hard to follow).

If you have a point in time where you were happy, try using System Restore to return to that position. If your lucky and it works for you, then keep a record of what you do to your computer as it is used, see if you can detect what is causing your problem.

I had the same problem,and I have fixed it. The commonality is that these web sites that give you BSOD each have default music,and the soundblaster software was the culprit. Uninstall the software and let XP restart and install the drivers and the problem is gone. At least it was for me.

BSOD when on the internet,which happens infrequenty,can be caused by the sound card drivers as these web site that I have encountered have music problem only happens on music sites. Get new drivers,and many drivers are in the Xp database. Took me awhile to find this so I wanted to pass it along.

Hello, I get the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error also. I have read this whole thread and have just been confused. I recently bought a new system and started getting this error as soon as I installed BT Broadband (within about 30mins online) I took the computer back where I bought it and asked them to look at it, but they found nothing wrong with it saying it works perfectly. I only get this error when I am online and they didn't have the facilities to connect my computer to the net as they used a cable connection and not ASDL like BT. So I then ring BT and ask for advice and they tell me that it's nothing to do with them and that I should contact the manufactures of the PC. They also suggested that I ring Microsoft and ask for help. I ring Microsoft but then they asked me for a refference code for the version of windows I have running. I started giving them the number then put down the phone because I copied version of XP Pro. Basically I fell like I am going round in circles, BT cant help, Comptuer Manufacturers cant help and I cant ask Microsoft again. You guys on here seem to know exactly whats up and have had experience with this particular problem. The only thing is I dont understand how to do some of the things you suggest. Is there anyone who might be able to run me though things in a slightly more elementary way? Thank you

Regards Jonathan

System Info:
Intel P4 2G, 2x 256 DDR Ram, 80G Excelstor 7200rpm HD, GeForce 4 MX4000 128 MB DDR 8x, ASRock P4VT8+ Motherboard.
Win XP Pro (copied)

I recorded the tech info for 2 different file types below, might be of some assistance.

Tech Info 1:
*** STOP: 0x00000001 (0x83377415, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF817B690)

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F817B690 Base at F8174000, DateStamp 3d6ddc31

Tech Info 2:
*** STOP: 0x00000001 (0x595F9B53, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF88A111C)

*** usbuhci.sys - Address F88A111C Base at F889E000, DateStamp 3f04cfac

I aslo got same error message with a cmuda.sys file.

And on another occasion instead of the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error I got MULTIPE _IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS error.

I hope this helps.

Dra2k,

Is your version of XP genuine? Can you clarify the comment "I started giving them the number then put down the phone because I copied version of XP Pro"?

If it is a (bad) copy then your version of files may be the problem. Ethically speaking this site has certain policies and we may not be able to help you if your version of XP is not a genuine version. Any attempt to do so might result in this whole thread being removed by the site management.

If your machine is still under Warranty, you might suggest that the people you bought it from attend at your location to see the problem, as they don't have the correct Internet connection.

Hello all,

Well, this little problem seems to have been running for some time now, pleased I'm not the only one who's been having bother with this!!

I keep getting the dreaded blue screen with random fault log's;

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Etc, etc, etc.

Well, when I say random perhaps I should explain a little more. I can get my PC [O/S Windows 2000 btw] to fail quite easily either by running either disk clean up, anything using flash player or by running Spybot, it also does it sometimes – not always – when running WMP. The trouble I’m having is that it’s never the same fault log to each application. I could be running a flash player game and get DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, reboot and get the same message while trying to run a disk clean up. Several minutes later while maybe running the same flash player I then might get PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or perhaps UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. Nothing appears to have any continuity to it and it’s very random, well, to me anyway?!

Now, I’ve read through all the post’s and tried several things you chaps have suggested but the main things I seem to see that keep cropping up in the thread are things that I have, ie Zone alarm Pro, Normans AV, Nvidia, Geforce graphics to name a few.

I’ve done the usual stuff, downloaded all new drivers, up-dates and any thing else Windows recommends, all to no avail.

One thing I’m fairly certain is that it’s not an overheating/fan fault as my PC can be turned on for 10 hours, browsing the web, doing documents etc, etc, and won’t flicker until I run anything stated above. Even if I run these things in safe mode fist thing when the PC is still cold it will still bail out and it’s nowhere near to getting even warm, never mind hot.

Another thing I have noticed [ not sure if it’s irrelevant and sorry to waffle on ] but my Zone alarm Pro say’s I do not have any anti virus software running? It say’s it does not recognise any and can not detect any, yet it’s there, running away happily in the corner?!!
Just wondering if it was a possible conflict of interest between ZA and Normans?

Cheers for putting up with this post!!

TN

Sorry, just noticed that this is a Windows XP Pro Forum!

Doh!!!

sometimes if i had a hex code to go with the stop error i can exactly pin point the exact error.but with the driver error i would suspect a faulty piece of hardware and thus all the other blue screens would branch off that single problem.my suggestion is to remove all your cards from the mother board (one at a time) and try to simulate the issue.if the problem comes up again then you know you need to keep pullin out the cards then eventually get up to memory and then you will eventually find the culpret.be weary certain blue screen codes also refer to the IDE controller on the mother board so if that is bad then the board is bad.

REDROUTE1, I think you may be right, I possibly have a hardware fault as I now have something completely different [ leading to same blue screen ] . My PC will no longer play music through disc detector 2 but it will play it through Creative Play Centre or WMP? When I go to Control Panel and Audio HQ it say's the driver is not installed, but I've tried installing it several times yet it still won't recognise it? I think I’ll go for the removal of the cards as suggested, see what happens. By the way, here’s an example of a fault log, for what good it may be?
DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL 0x000000D1 (0x6402809F,0x00000002,0x00000001,0xBFE244D3) Address BFE244D3 Base At BFD04000, Datestamp 3F820145_NV4_MINI.SYS.

Linney, are you suggesting I dump either the AV prog or Zone alarm? If so, which one shall I keep? Spybot is the latest version by the way.

Cheers.

Before I do anything, can someone please have a quick check to see what their Driver Verifier Manager has under the “driver status” tab and “settings” tab for me please?

I’ve just checked mine and there’s nothing at all under the “status” tab, just a blank box? There’s also 111 different drivers under the “settings” tab but there all “disabled”, surely it can’t just be a case of enabling all these drivers, can it?

What harm can I do to my O/S by enabling these drivers?

Conflicts?

Thanks Again

TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back