Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwise2112

MIS
May 26, 2002
CA
I've trying to solve this problem for another user.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000001)

The system is a Celeron 1300 with 128MB of RAM & 40 GB HDD. The problem happens infrequently, but always online when opening certain websites. The OS has been completely reinstalled, but the problem continues. Windows Updates have been done, but did not help.

Most indications are that it is a driver problem, but how can I narrow down or identify the problem driver with no file or driver name info in the error?

Any help would be appreciated.

keith52,

829120 - You Receive a "Stop 0xD1" Error Message When You Try to Establish a TCP/IP Session

818326 - STOP 0x0000001D or STOP 0x000000A Stop Error Occurs in Ndis.sys

822603 - Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update

Remember SP2 is still only Beta (or Release Candidate) and not for general release.

Any further information in your Event Viewer?

DontKnowWhatHandleIs,

Battlefield 1942

"Battlefield 1942 and all expansion packs work great. Make sure your computer is up to system specs to play these games or it will fail to run properly. Also make sure you have installed all patches available (1.31 and 1.4 at this time. Aug 03)"

From

re: question about changing IRQLs -- you have to change the actual PCI devices inside the PC in order to change your IRQLs --

ok -- I wrote above that my new machine (packed with all the new goodies) is working perfectly - and it has been for a month -- I have the following programs installed: MS Office, Cakewalk, Reason, Nero, !Live, Power DVD, Photoshop, Winamp, etc. etc....I just installed NAV 2004 and VOILA! the BSOD is back -- Having run this computer without Norton on here for a month without 1 problem, it is safe to say that the blue screens are 100% ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CAUSED BY NORTON -- If anyone knows how to get around this, please advise -- It happened on the other computer with NSW 2003....so, any and all Norton programs are obviously causing the problem. Thanks to anyone with a solution......This is XP Pro retail version. :) Will await a genius solution!

Hi DontKnowWhatHandleIs - Well, it will leave you susceptible to viruses obviously -- but, see if the Blue Screen goes away -- also, Norton never seems to remove itself all the way -- I personally have an inquiry open with Microsoft about this (yes, I actually found a really helpful techie) -- so, as soon as I know I will pass it on -- Good luck to both of us :)

Linney - you are awesome - this is the 2nd time you helped me out today - thanks a heap :)

I started a thread - thread779-805498, where I asked a question about my XP Home randomly crashing. I would get the BSOD with "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error with stop codes usually 0xd1, but sometimes 0x0a, 0xfe, etc, with the notation usbhub.sys - Address.... under it.

Eventually, I found the problem occurred only when the connection to my ISP was turned off but my USB cable modem was on and plugged in, so that I was still connected to the cable company. I now work with my ISP connected all the time (and trust my firewall). The problem reappeared only once, after for some reason my ISP got disconnected and I didn't notice it (I was preparing a Word document at the time.)

It seems to me that this error covers a lot of things, and is a completely useless diagnostic tool provided by Microsoft.

I'm having a similar problem... I've been getting an error when I boot up some higher end games: America's Army, Battlefield Vietnam, etc. It gives me that blue screen msg DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have been told that this could be alot of things but I'm thinking its my graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce3).

What is odd is that it has gotten progressivly worse. At first it was just for America's Army. Then Battlefield. Then Counter Strike. Then pretty much any program. It has gotten worse for about 2-3 weeks and now it's at the point where I can play no games. I'm suffering withdrawl! I'll try to do what has allready been posted here, but help for my specific situation would be most appreciated.

BTW, when I go to the BIOS settings by pressing F2 while the computer is starting up, I don't see any 'caching' or 'shadowing' that the error suggests that I disable to fix this problem. I also just downloaded the drivers for my video card which was updated April 10. I'm stumped and my computer guy is away will May 9th :(

StupidComputer,

This thread has been chugging along for almost two years and several posters have reported possibilities that have worked for them, so you might have some luck by trying some of their solutions.

As for turning off 'caching' or 'shadowing' in your bios, and not being familiar with your bios, I can only report that I have not seen any fixes in any posts in this forum referring to that as a confirmed fix for anything. Often returning settings in the bios back to Default may help more than disabling this or that.

When you have updated your drivers was it from the manufacturer's site or Windows Update? A lot of problems occur with drivers (especially video) from the Windows Update site.

I had this problem and was trying to find a cure for a while. The solution for me was to change the memory, as my motherboard only supported DDR 333 With a 333FSB CPU. This could be the solution for you.

Check your MB's Manual.

ITS HORRIBLE IT WORKS FOR BF1942 BUT WHEN I TRIED BF1942:ROAD TO ROME IT DIDNT WORK. NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[sadeyes]

Well I have to say that my problem is fixed. When i installed the usb modem it said to install on a usbport 1.1.
I changed the modem to USB 2.0 and the printer in the USB port right beside it.
No more crashes but the funny thing now is that the great microsoft sidewinder gamepad( which does not have drivers for windowsxp) no longer works and i have tried it in every other spare port) i have 6 ports for usb.
funny every other usb joystick and game pad (non microsoft) come with usb program installation for their products.
cheers from Keith in south australia.

I have the same problem so I deleted the onboard NIC,and reinsatlled the Realtek card and drivers same problem. The site that is a constant blue screen is Northgate Keyboard Repair.
Thanks

Tomking,

Try Safe Mode with Networking option and see if you can go to that site?

Have you checked for the latest driver updates, that's always a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back