Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling startup programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zig123

Technical User
Aug 12, 2001
US
I miss the msconfig from Win98 and ME is there a 3rd party that will allow you to disable programs from starting on startup? This is without having to edit the registry.

Zig

Editing the registry is the best way. There are third party programs. I dont use them. I find the registry is easier. If you want to give it a shot you can go to 1 of 2 places. Open regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (and the other Run folders such as RunOnce). In here is all the machine specific programs.

The other spot is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (and the other Run folders such as RunOnce).

I see that you dont like the registry. I suggest learning it and become familiar with it. You will need to know how to use it with Win2K. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

startup control panel by mike lin is a free download from zdnet works quite well and I have been told msconfig can be installed from the w98 cd.

Something to consider just for fun.

If you have access to msconfig from an old Win98 CD or if you are like me and have multi-boot OS's. Use msconfig.exe from the <System Root>\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. It will allow you to view your start-up programs and give you the opportunity to disable them just by unclicking a check box. I don't necessarily use executables from previous OS's, but this does work.

I unarchived msconfig.exe from my WindowsME CD and dropped it into the WINNT folder. When I launched it, it complained that it could load RegEnv32.exe, and then loaded anyway. I don't think it loaded the entire application.

Has anyone used msconfig from Win98 or WinME in Win2000? Have you found any problem with doing so?
Have you tried to set a selective startup and disabled any items?
Has the machine booted ok after that?

Cheers, woggie

Thanx TekKnowGeek - That's the build and service pack that I'm using too.

Cheers, woggie

Easier way:

DirectX

%ROOT%\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ - DxDiag.
Open it, click on the &quot;More Help&quot; tab on the top right.
Then select &quot;MSInfo&quot; (new window pops open), &quot;Tools&quot; -> then &quot;System Configuration Utility&quot;.
Click the &quot;Startup&quot; tab on the top right.

* List of programs durning startup.

Sheldon,

Right click on My Computer, &quot;Manage&quot;, &quot;Software environment&quot;, &quot;Startup Programs&quot; brings up the same utility. There's no need to run DirectX - especially if it's not used.

There are also run commands that will bring up the same thing, but i forget what they are.

Note - you cannot disable the startup programs from this window - only view them. Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful. Thanks!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Hi SheldonC - Thanx for the reference to the System Information button in dxdiag. However, in the version that I've got (Windows2000 SP2 build 2195, DxDiag version 4.08.00.0400). There are no tabs for startup. There is, however, a Startup Programs folder under Software Environment in the hierarchy pane on the left. This contains the list of startup programs.

But what does it have to do with user/app authorization?

There is another folder called Program Groups which shows which classes of users are authorized for which program *groups* (not individual programs), but I don't see any facility to change those values.

Cheers, woggie

Ok. Only DirectX 8 has the ability to midify the startup.
As for PBXMAN quote&quot;Note - you cannot disable the startup programs from this window - only view them.&quot; I'm not sure if you mean the DirectX8 cannot disable or the &quot;Software environment&quot; can't disable it. I'm not on my Win2kAS right now so I can't remember.

Sheldon - either way..both methods point to the same Management Console. You cannot disable a program from that interface..it tells you where the program is in the filesystem as well as in the registry - which must be disabled as well.

Zig did not want to edit the registry, so I dont think he wants to use this procedure. Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful. Thanks!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back