Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Die, Dies, Dice 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackdump

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
GB

If you have a die (a casting for example), does it have a plural? So would I have two die?, or two dies? My guess would be two die in the sense that 'die' is singular or plural, so it is like the word baggage.

But... I've also heard people call two die, dice. Which is probably a mishearing of dies.

In terms of a dice (the the square gaming thing you roll), the plural is die. But this is often confused since I hear people say roll the dice when they have two in their hand. I guess the 'ice' part of dice sounds like an 's' which makes it sound like its plural.

I've always suspected that the confusion between dice/die (the gaming thing) and multiple die (a casting or similar) is why some people call multiple castings dice?

You die.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Or is that multiple mothers-in-law?

Diceing a potato can be dicey if one does not have a dicer. If put into food coloring, the diced pieces can be dyed to look like they have died to make diced pieces of fake flesh for Halloween.

diceing dicing

diocese dais (DAY-iss) dose deice (dee-ICE) douse deuce!

the singular of lice IS in fact louse

Ideas:
the singular of rice is rouse (or rye?)
the singular of price is pry (or prouse?)
the plural of house is hice.

ha!

I hit on it accidentally when looking for unlikely singular/plural amusement, but decided to leave it in because contrary to my expected findings,

the singular of lice IS in fact louse.

I have no idea if louse is known well by people. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not. Or maybe it is. Ai dough know.

Well, not as well known as at one time. "You louse!" is a fast disappearing epithet, however "lousy" as in "infested with lice" is still very much in use, as I'm sure you will agree.

Could someone offer reference to Dice as singular and Die as plural please?"

It was almost certainly a typo earlier in the thread.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back